PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
This very good thread on the legislation forum kicked this off for me...

So, for the past week or so I have been dipping into the tobacco growing world. Posts elsewhere on the internet like this look pretty interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/fq6rhi
As the 'Get to Plantin...' thread points out, I see growing tobacco could become a possible way to continue to enjoy this hobby even if laws greatly restrict the commercial sell of tobacco. I would rather be already proficient at growing should the day of restricted purchasing come, than wait until it comes. (Those of you that have a trainload full of tobacco already in your cellar probably won't be that interested in this topic!)

Even if pipe tobacco can be bought for some years yet and my cellar continues to grow, it would be a nice supplement to add to my rotation and a point of enjoyment.

So I have decided to make this a bit of a quarantine study project as I have some extra time from taking a pause on smoking while we ride out coronavirus. My initial impression is that growing tobacco is really not that hard or a lot of work.

My question to any of you who already are into growing tobaccos, do you have any favourite tobacco plants you like to grow? What is your curing and preparation process? Do you have any online sources or even books that you have found very helpful?

If this takes off maybe we should even have a forum section dedicated to growing?

Last edited:
Reactions: docpierce and Bowie

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
This very good thread on the legislation forum kicked this off for me...

So, for the past week or so I have been dipping into the tobacco growing world. Posts elsewhere on the internet like this look pretty interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/fq6rhi
As the 'Get to Plantin...' thread points out, I see growing tobacco could become a possible way to continue to enjoy this hobby even if laws greatly restrict the commercial sell of tobacco. I would rather be already proficient at growing should the day of restricted purchasing come, than wait until it comes. (Those of you that have a trainload full of tobacco already in your cellar probably won't be that interested in this topic!)

Even if pipe tobacco can be bought for some years yet and my cellar continues to grow, it would be a nice supplement to add to my rotation and a point of enjoyment.

So I have decided to make this a bit of a quarantine study project as I have some extra time from taking a pause on smoking while we ride out coronavirus. My initial impression is that growing tobacco is really not that hard or a lot of work.

My question to any of you who already are into growing tobaccos, do you have any favourite tobacco plants you like to grow? What is your curing and preparation process? Do you have any online sources or even books that you have found very helpful?

If this takes off maybe we should even have a forum section dedicated to growing?
If you like Burley, Yellow Twist Bud is a very easy "cure"

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
No need here, whatever legislature pulls, I never need to buy tobacco again.

Yeah for sure! As I thought about writing this post, the forum members who have cellars that fill half the garage or are spread throughout the house, will probably have little interest in growing tobacco unless they have the worst form of TAD.:eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Good post, as I’ve been doing the same research, with my eye on planting some seeds for the first time this season. I’ve got the garden space and there’s no good reason why I cannot grow at least 7-10 healthy plants, maybe more.

I have some seeds from the generous @docpierce and I’m going to buy some burley on the market too. I’ll check out the Yellow Twist Bud.

I like the idea of a forum section dedicated to growing.

I‘ll post some links to good info that I found later today when I’m on the computer.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
My offer is still good. I will send a member of this forum plenty of seeds to start his own plants.

It's definitely a long term project. It also takes a green thumb and some sunny garden space. The duration of this project can be over two years before the tobacco is palatable- though it can be smoked anytime after harvesting drying.

As many already know, there are Brights (Virginia), Burleys, and Orientals in pipe tobacco blends. People sometimes add cigar varieties to add character. Each can be dried & cured to bring out specific flavors. Some guys (artisans) build special curing kilns & chambers. Other people like to keep it country simple and just grow one variety, hang it in the shed and forget about it for a year or so. If I'm not mistaken, all the pipe tobacco blends that we love are created from a different combinations of the strains and the different cures. You can make an endless supply of your own to smoke and to share with friends.

I will give members seeds to start them out. I keep all my strains separate and pure and always encourage others to do the same. Alternately, you can contact: Northwest Tobacco Seed - Providing wholesale tobacco seeds worldwide - http://nwtseeds.com . Paul is a good guy. He lists dozens of pure strains.

<lofty goals alert>
We are preserving a heritage for the future.
This is our tradition- to grow things and share them out with friends. So much of our culture has been lost already.

I have: brights, burleys orientals and cigar strains. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Aside from the usual Virginia, burley and orientals. I like to grow one called Monte Calme Brun, a hybrid cigar type that tastes amazing for pipe.

As for curing and processing. I suggest making a curing chamber. It can be as easy as putting your tobacco in ziplocks by a heat source or more complex by building a box with a heat and moisture source(a crock pot works) to maintain proper levels to accelerate aging for about a month or So, to get out the nasty "green" flavour of the leaves.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Aside from the usual Virginia, burley and orientals. I like to grow one called Monte Calme Brun, a hybrid cigar type that tastes amazing for pipe.

As for curing and processing. I suggest making a curing chamber. It can be as easy as putting your tobacco in ziplocks by a heat source or more complex by building a box with a heat and moisture source(a crock pot works) to maintain proper levels to accelerate aging for about a month or So, to get out the nasty "green" flavour of the leaves.
Supposedly, the easiest curing chamber utilizes curing in mason jars so as to not have to worry about moisture levels.

I've read (no personal experience) about using a cooler. A small fan to distribute heat, a light bulb for a heat source, a minimum/maximum thermometer, and a potentiometer to the light bulb.

Minimum/maximum thermometers are cheap at any hardware store. I would think that even this set-up would benefit from a temp controlled switch to turn heat on and off automatically instead, though. But, then you're getting a little more elaborate.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Inkbird temperature controllers are available on eBay and they even have humidity controllers. But yes you can use jars. I think zip lock freezer bags are easier as you can empty them if you need to let the leaves air out because they are too moist. It's a but trickier to have to make sure every bag isn't too moist, a bit simpler to have all the leaves on racks in a big box or old fridge or deep freezer, as when you get the temp/ humidity dialed in then it's good for all the leaves. Depends on how much you are kilning I suppose.

I've used a wooden box(line the inside with plastic) with shelves and a crock pot with the lid off halfway before and it creates a good environment.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
My offer is still good. I will send a member of this forum plenty of seeds to start his own plants.

It's definitely a long term project. It also takes a green thumb and some sunny garden space. The duration of this project can be over two years before the tobacco is palatable- though it can be smoked anytime after harvesting drying.

As many already know, there are Brights (Virginia), Burleys, and Orientals in pipe tobacco blends. People sometimes add cigar varieties to add character. Each can be dried & cured to bring out specific flavors. Some guys (artisans) build special curing kilns & chambers. Other people like to keep it country simple and just grow one variety, hang it in the shed and forget about it for a year or so. If I'm not mistaken, all the pipe tobacco blends that we love are created from a different combinations of the strains and the different cures. You can make an endless supply of your own to smoke and to share with friends.

I will give members seeds to start them out. I keep all my strains separate and pure and always encourage others to do the same. Alternately, you can contact: Northwest Tobacco Seed - Providing wholesale tobacco seeds worldwide - http://nwtseeds.com . Paul is a good guy. He lists dozens of pure strains.

<lofty goals alert>
We are preserving a heritage for the future.
This is our tradition- to grow things and share them out with friends. So much of our culture has been lost already.

I have: brights, burleys orientals and cigar strains. PM me if interested.
So I have had a bag of seeds in my fridge for several years, do you think they are still viable? The bag is in a mason jar, so moisture change shouldn't have effected them

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So I have had a bag of seeds in my fridge for several years, do you think they are still viable? The bag is in a mason jar, so moisture change shouldn't have effected them
Tobacco seeds remain viable for years. If they didn't experience long periods of freezing, they may still be good.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Can you grow tobacco in containers in Alaska?
Possibly. If you start your seeds indoors under lamps and transplant to the containers, there are varieties that mature in as little as 50-55 days.

This will be my second year growing tobacco. Last season was my first time growing any kind of garden, let alone a commercial crop. Despite all the mistakes I made starting, growing, curing, and storing (lost probably half the leaves to mold) I _still_ ended up with nearly 10lbs of leaf! Larger than my "cellar" by a lot.

Resources I found helpful. Fair trade tobacco forums. Victory seeds co. The USDA.

Just started this years crop. The big idea for me this time around is to build a flue curing chamber for the end of the season. I promise to post about it if I am able to make it happen.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020

I also like to grow unusual and rare strains for pipe blends. 3 years ago, I grew Little Dutch- its' wonderful in a pipe. A short wide plant with leathery dark green leaves. Strains that I'm testing this year for the pipe: Cherry Red, Costello Negro (bright), Silver River, Harrow Velvet (burley). Japan8 and Little Dutch.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Seeds can sometimes stay viable for a long time. Why not do a test? Sprinkle a tiny amount of seeds on a pot of unused potting soil (dont bury the seeds with dirt). Mist it and cover it with saran wrap. Put it in a place inside the house and in 10 days you should see something tiny and green.

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
They've had some seeds found in 3,000 year-old Egyptian tombs germinate.
I've thought about trying to grow some tobacco plants from time to time. We had fresh snowfall last night, just a dusting, but probably not the last time this quarter. Such is the weather in the state of Maine (we didn't even get a summer the year after Krakatoa blew!)
Add to that the fact that my personal history indicates the possession of a black thumb where growing plants are concerned.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When my wife was picking out some plants at a church plant sale, I glumly stated that our yard is where healthy plants go to die, which cracked up my wife and the plant seller. But I do admire "thems" who can make plants grow. The stellar thing about growing your own leaf is that every locale has a slightly different soil and moisture situation, so though you may grow a genetically standard tobacco plant, the product will be uniquely your own. I don't grow tobacco, but I deeply savor the end product of those who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.