Punch Mini & Guantamera Short Fillers Sale--Any Good?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I just noticed a flash sale at one of the European internet sellers for Punch Mini Cubans and discontinued Guantamera Cubans. Both must be short filler. Both are inexpensive I suppose, for what they are: $0.65 for Punch Minis and $1.90 for Guantanameras. Has anyones smoked either? I understand as short fillers they are made from scraps, tobacco swept from the tables & floors perhaps?, etc. And I'm guessing the Minis should be smoked carefully and slower with shallow draws to avoid a real hot smoke, again--I'm guessing??? Any thoughts??? Basically, should I factor in the truth--"you get what you pay for" (sometimes LOL....).
kindly
mike

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I grabbed these last sale worked out to about a buck a smoke, they are a nice 10 minute or so smoke depending on how fast you smoke them. They are Cuban leaf not sure if anyone knows the mix of scraps and floor sweepings but I’m never found string or anything in one. I like them for a quick smoke on a short drive or that late at night smoke. Not worth almost $2 each if that’s what you saw for price.

1BA21C5C-9B65-47F7-B867-3BC62392A535.jpeg
49657E52-96C7-4FCE-9C0E-204A737F28E3.jpeg

4AAE4291-4D49-49F7-B529-144EB0B5CFA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: That Guy

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Thanks AJL, I also picked up some of the Cohiba shorts for about a buck each. And I like 'em fine for what they are. Glad they worked out for you. I'm thinking about these Punch minis but they're even smaller, 3.20x20.
kindly
mike
p.s.--glad no string and stuff in your's, haven't found any junk in mine but I don't look too closely if at all LOL! :)) I admit to smoking lint and pocket stuff in my pipe since I'll stow an unlit pipe in the pocket filled for a light later on, from time to time. LOL Also, I'll store a lit one in a shirt pocket, too :)

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Mark--you got me chuckling out loud. A few of the cheaper cigars I've tried have smelled like manure according to The Wife :)) LOL
kindly
mike
p.s.--i don't wanna smoke turds! :)))

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks AJL, I also picked up some of the Cohiba shorts for about a buck each. And I like 'em fine for what they are. Glad they worked out for you. I'm thinking about these Punch minis but they're even smaller, 3.20x20.
kindly
mike
p.s.--glad no string and stuff in your's, haven't found any junk in mine but I don't look too closely if at all LOL! :)) I admit to smoking lint and pocket stuff in my pipe since I'll stow an unlit pipe in the pocket filled for a light later on, from time to time. LOL Also, I'll store a lit one in a shirt pocket, too :)
Yes the minis are a smaller ring gauge if you cam call it that, i think technically they are a zero RG.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I wouldn't expect much from short filter, you may as well smoke a cigarette. For 65 cents, not much risk though. Don't be surprised if you find some rest turds.
Found a washer in a cigar once, well didn’t find it as much as was smoking it and went to ash and it was sticking out, made an amusing clink in the ash tray. ?

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Don't feel bad Funkenhouser--I enjoy the taste of hotdogs AND short filler Cubans like Quantanamera's. Yes, I admit I have the taste buds of a goat--everything I've smoked I've liked. And a real treat for me is an icy cold MIller HIgh Life, that champagne of beers LOL!! Truly!! I pick up the same Cuban flavor (for me, sort of sweet and grassy??) in cheap short fillers as I do in the more expensive Cuban cigars I've had (thanks Mark! I confess such treasures must be wasted on me!!! :))). Yep--the short fillers have less of that flavor blend I now enjoy in Cubans, but the flavors are still there for me -- just lighter. All's good! If this weren't the case, I wouldn't have Cuban cigars very much!!! :)))) What's your experience? Do you like hotdogs AND steak??? Fish sticks AND fresh salmon??? LOL How about Laphroaig single malt AND Cutty Sark???
kindly
mike

ps--I'll enjoy a cup of 4 day old cold coffee from the frig AND a double shot from the La Marzocco Mini of fresh, home roasted coffee beans!!! I think I'm a Nut!! But I'm happy sometimes and having a ball reading posts from you guys and gals for the last couple years. Thnks much!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Has some great short filler cubans, granted they were vintage, some HU that came in cello from the 80s, you used to be able to find them during one of the larger Euro auctions, could get a box for about $200 bucks and they were creamy, delicious old world Upmann flavors, the same with some old Selectos... that being said they weren't Guantanamera which I always put on the scale right below dog rockets.