PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry to hear that. I got into trouble about ten years ago with holiday aromatics, cinnamon and peppermint or something. Brushing my teeth with minty toothpaste made it as bad again. Do take it slow. I had no problem with even fuller strength non-aromatics, so I deduced the non-tobacco flavorings were my problem.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
It really is one of those live and learn take-away's. I've been smoking cigars for years and pipe for five years, steady for the last year or more. I just didn't know my limits and I pushed them. I think for young smokers you need to visualize fire hot steam coming out of the draft hole. I'm hitting every open tin in the cellar thinking I'm good. Well..... :LOL: No IFU, I certainly learned a lesson.

Other thoughts, oral mucosa heals pretty fast, I didn't suffer withdrawal symptoms and I now have a fresh palate. So I got that going for me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ouch. Been there done that. I still smoke fast. I've just built up callouses on the roof of my mouth.

Also why I've never bought a p lip pipe. I don't get tongue bite, I get roof scald. I don't need a stem to help point the smoke in that direction anymore than it already does.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
Ouch. Been there done that. I still smoke fast. I've just built up callouses on the roof of my mouth.

Also why I've never bought a p lip pipe. I don't get tongue bite, I get roof scald. I don't need a stem to help point the smoke in that direction anymore than it already does.
Your reply is spot on, this is an epiphany really. I had been smoking my p-lip Peterson with more frequency just prior to my hiatus. Damn!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Burnt the piss out of my mouth two weeks ago, I mean crab boiled my upper pallet. It was painful. I blame my I.Q. and cigar past for this, you don't need to produce copious amounts of smoke to enjoy a pipe.

All is well now and I'm back in the saddle. Sip gentlemen, sip.

You ain't the Lone Ranger. I think it has happened to most every pipe smoker a few times. Kind of Mother Nature's way of teaching us to smoke slower..

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I've had that roof of the mouth scald as well.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I bet this is a common issue for those of us who came to the pipe from cigars. It is definitely an adjustment in the quantity of smoke. I've never really experienced tongue bite as I understand it, but I have absolutely smoked my mouth and tongue tender and raw by going too hard.

As an aside, about a year ago I decided I hate minty toothpaste and now all I use is Tom's of Maine Children's toothpaste in the "Silly Strawberry" flavor. Laugh all you want, but not only is it super mild on the palate, but the flavor barely lingers at all! It's great stuff!

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I still have issues with puffing too fast when distracted. Fortunately, Prince Albert and Carter Hall are pretty forgiving in that regard, so those are my go-tos when I know I’m going to be too mentally busy to concentrate on my pipe. I like Lane 1-Q for similar reasons, but it has so little nicotine that I’d have to screw a shank into a wooden salad bowl, fill it with 1-Q, and light it with a blowtorch to feel something.

I’d love to get my hands on some D&R Picayune for my little OR01 bent apples, but nobody in WA stocks it, and even if anyone who stocked it shipped to WA, it’s still illegal to order tobacco by mail here.

• Sad
Reactions: danimalia

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I still have issues with puffing too fast when distracted. Fortunately, Prince Albert and Carter Hall are pretty forgiving in that regard, so those are my go-tos when I know I’m going to be too mentally busy to concentrate on my pipe. I like Lane 1-Q for similar reasons, but it has so little nicotine that I’d have to screw a shank into a wooden salad bowl, fill it with 1-Q, and light it with a blowtorch to feel something.

I’d love to get my hands on some D&R Picayune for my little OR01 bent apples, but nobody in WA stocks it, and even if anyone who stocked it shipped to WA, it’s still illegal to order tobacco by mail here.
Funny thing the one thing I can't do when smoking a pipe is talking on the phone. If I try that I burn the heck out of my mouth. I can have in depth impassioned discussion in person and be fine but the phone... I've never even considered smoking and driving so I suspect that might be a problem, though video games and smoke works perfectly fine.

Reactions: Misanthrope

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
I did the same thing last night. I've been smoking for almost 2 months. I got some RO Firestorm (appropriate name) and was having a hard time keeping it lit. I think with all the relights (15-20) I would puff too hard while lighting and trying to keep it lit.
I woke up in the middle of the night with swelling below my tongue and a chapped mouth.
Sure makes for an annoying next day. It is starting to feel better.
I can't even complain to my Wife - she will just call me an idiot...

• Sad
Reactions: Rockyrepose

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Never had much problem with tongue / mouth burn, except with relights. I suspect that vigorously drawing on the pipe during a relight is the main culprit here. It's just that the damage isn't immediately apparent and takes a bit of time to notice.

I'll also add that for those who enjoy the higher volumes of smoke from cigars, burley and cobs go a long way. I'm a former cigarette smoker, and on the occasion that I find myself craving a smoke, burley and cobs scratches that itch. A cigar does the trick as well, but I'm not always in the mood for an hour long $10 smoke.

Reactions: logs and anotherbob

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Burnt the piss out of my mouth two weeks ago, I mean crab boiled my upper pallet. It was painful. I blame my I.Q. and cigar past for this, you don't need to produce copious amounts of smoke to enjoy a pipe.

All is well now and I'm back in the saddle. Sip gentlemen, sip.

Been there, done that.