PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I was excited to try this blend. Stokkebye has three bulk English blends, Luxury, Oriental and Proper. I am working my way through them all.

The Luxury was well cut and had great feel/humidity right out of the bag. I did dry it for 30 minutes as I do that for anything...its standard. If a blend is more moist then I will leave it longer, but as a minimum everything gets 30.

Packed easily enough. Took a light well and charred up easily.

Flavor wise I was disappointed. That sums it up. It was one of the mildest blends I've ever smoked. I'll give the mix a good tossing to ensure proper distribution of its components, but don't have much hope for increase in flavor. It has Georgian Virginias, black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprian Latakia...I detected little to no Latakia.

I think this blend would make a great base for do it yourself home blenders and at $37ish dollars a pound its not bad for that.

Reactions: Elric

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I just got an ounce of this blend (Luxury) in the mail about twenty minutes ago, I’m anxious to try it out. I’m working through the same three, but I only have this and the Proper English on hand. I enjoyed the Proper English, and hopefully I will be trying the Luxury later today.

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
I always recommend Luxury English as an introduction to english blends. It's on the slightly milder/sweeter end of the spectrum and there is no chance of bite. It's a lovely blend at a great value.

Reactions: canucklehead

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an old standard, been around for decades. I don't find it quite that bland. It is certainly mild, but in a flavorful way, to me. And that's saying something, since I tend toward fuller strength burley blends -- C&D Big'n'Burley and Dark Burley and such. Though I've come back to enjoying milder blends too.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Admittedly my palate may be abused from years of cigars. It’s certainly of quality, English Luxury, just too light for me.

Reactions: kcghost

Smoke dog

Lurker
Sep 21, 2021
In the dog house
I’ve smoked this on and off for years. I have several pounds of it in my cellar. It’s a good blend.

I haven’t smoked any for a while. That’s the problem when you’re OCD and have way too many blends available to smoke…
God, i remember how pissed my wife would get when we were getting ready to meet up w friends, or go out for dinner. I'd take forever trying to decide what pipes, tobacco I'd bring with. I obsessed over it kind of like she does with what's she's wearing. It's easier now. At that time i had like 40 or 50 pipes and prob 100 jarred blends to chooses from. My pipes were stolen while on an extended vacation.. Broke my heart. I had worked HARD for those pipes. They were my baby's. Half of them i brought back from the dead. I gave up on pipe smoking for 5 years. Just got back into it few months ago on accident as i found a single tin of Balkan sobrani tucked away in my brother's garage. He don't smoke, never has. That was god saying "life is short. Enjoy yourself... Dude."

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I think English Luxury changed after STG/Lane got more involved w/ Stokkebye about 2012. I used to buy it occasionally 15-20 years ago and don't remember it being so sweet. I remember liking it because back then it WASN'T sweet, it had burleys instead of mostly Virginias and it reminded me of burning oak leaves, from the leaf piles I used to rake as a kid (before they had these blower things).

Now it's pretty sweet with a peach/apricot type topping. I prefer their Proper English.

Another good bulk English is Lane BS-005.