PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
A local tobacconist has a mixture they call "Proper 80". Their recipe is 9oz Mixture 79, 9oz Lane 1-Q, and 1oz Stokkebe Proper English. You can see how they came up with the name 79+1=80...
I had the Mixture 79 and the 1-Q, but only English Luxury, so tried my hand at a similar mixture. My recipe is:
One coffee scoop of Mixture 79, One coffee scoop of 1-Q, and a half scoop of English Luxury. I guess we can call it "Luxury 80"
Something about that mixture just works! I like Mixture 79 and this does not mask the flavor, just balances it a bit. I don't love 1-Q by itself, but I feel it really bridges the gap between the English and the Mixture 79.
I prefer English and Balkan blends (love Latakia). I will try the mixture with a more Latakia forward English as well. I didn't expect to enjoy this mixture, went into it thinking I would just try out the shops recipe for fun, but it is a keeper. I will experiment using a few other bulk English blends in it, just to see how it changes.
Final thoughts: Good to Damn Good!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This could be approximated with similar blends, though it wouldn't be the same blend, but it sounds like it could be good. Some of my best smokes are mixes. Just don't throw in too many different blends. Usually two or three work best. Otherwise it can get muddy or harsh, unless you hit the lotto.

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
This could be approximated with similar blends, though it wouldn't be the same blend, but it sounds like it could be good. Some of my best smokes are mixes. Just don't throw in too many different blends. Usually two or three work best. Otherwise it can get muddy or harsh, unless you hit the lotto.
Good advise and I agree. I would keep the 79 & 1-Q equal and just try using a few different English blends - one at a time.
The flavor of the 79 was there the whole smoke and just played really well with the English.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
+ always start with a small batch.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Apart from 1Q [which I like] haven't tried any of the other blends you mention.

Had a couple of pounds of Mark Twain, which was too moist and too sweet for my tastes so I mixed it 50/50 with Windsail Virginia which made it just right.

Then I substituted half of the Windsail with London Squire [An English blend which left an astringent taste in my mouth] and mixed that with the Mark Twain. [Roughly W-25/LS-25/MT-50]
That was a very tasty mix.

Count Pulaski is a rather nice semi-aro VaBur with Latakia - you tried?

Reactions: Ahi Ka