Professional Quality Film About Clay Pipe Making (1938)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Truly outstanding, halfdan!

"Time machine quality" information is harder to come by than most people would think, given digitaleverything these days. So much of it is stored on film, and usually there's little profit in transferring it but plenty of labor required to do so.

About the world shown, I definitely think that it was better in both qualitative and quantitative ways than what has replaced it. Historically pretty much where convenient modernity (transportation, medicine, etc.) and required personal interaction overlapped to the greatest extent. Western Civilization's evolutionary sweet spot.

Reactions: The Clay King

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just saw this 1938 film today on youtube, noticed this post here, wow, really cool clay pipe history.

@halfdan is Broseley far from you? Also do you know if Broseley is where clay making began?

Reactions: The Clay King

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I just ran across this on YT yesterday. Great stuff. I was going to post a link but found I was beaten to the punch.

Well worth watching.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I just saw this 1938 film today on youtube, noticed this post here, wow, really cool clay pipe history.

@halfdan is Broseley far from you? Also do you know if Broseley is where clay making began?
@PipeIT It's near Ironbridge in Shropshire. Looks like an interesting place but a bit far for a day trip. I'd like to learn to make clay pipes as I did a pottery course pre Covid. Made a medieval inspired coiled pot bowl for my medieval themed home. A shame Wilson's of Sharrow in Sheffield no longer make clays.

Reactions: PipeIT