PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can offer some help here.

I received a Private Message from someone I have never interacted with before on Saturday last and have just now gone to reply to the chap. However, at the end of his message there is a padlock icon and the following "This conversation is closed for new replies."

Why would that message be showing? I thought Private Messages were a way for folks to interact off forum but here I am being told I cannot thank the guy for what he posted to me.

On his avatar it states 'new member' who joined last Wednesday. However I looked up his 'name' the other day and found several posts, but looking today it states he has none!

Very strange.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My guess, and it's only that, is he was spamming, banned or was indeed a Prince.....

I am not a fan of PM's from strangers. Was it truly helpful?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I am not a fan of PM's from strangers. Was it truly helpful?"

Not so much helpful as complimentary. He mentioned several posts I had made including one from several months ago.

When I first read the message I looked him up and saw some of his posts, all very normal and pleasant, yet today he has no history.

His name was Bill and his forum name was Merton. That's all I know of the chap.

As I said, very strange.

Regards,

Jay.?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You've done your part. Maybe he will see this OP and try again without locking the response. Being a Typhoid Mary of the digital world myself, I will say, it is sure easy to fudge it up.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Wasn't Merton the dude that posted a bunch of political junk and got threads closed? If so, it would explain his missing posts and locked PMs.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Wasn't Merton the dude that posted a bunch of political junk and got threads closed? If so, it would explain his missing posts and locked PMs."

Interesting Canucklehead, he did actually say he had stopped posting due to so many folks politicising threads! He seemed a genuine guy and was very polite. Odd that I could see his posts a few days ago but now it's as if he never existed.

I would post his message here but think that would be out of line, after all a private message is just that, private.

Regards,

Jay.?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Maybe he will see this OP and try again without locking the response."

Tom, I never knew one could do that.....now I know it can be done as that is precisely because what he did, he saw this thread then contacted me explaining what he did and why.

Now he has made contact again as I said above, the mystery is now solved.

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.