PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

garageb08

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2012
When buying estate pipes and you put some time into restoring them, how do some of you go about pricing them to resell? Hope this isn't a trade secret, I'm asking. :wink: What should I be looking at as far as labor, materials, and the improved condition of the pipe, not to mention the brand does apply here as well, I am sure? Keep in mind I am not a pipes shop, its a hobby for me, but I would like to get fair price when turning them over. I use a small antique shop that I sell to, and the lady likes, of course, to pay low end, like $3-4 per pipe. She marks them up to 12,15, 18, and 20. So the haggling always begins. I will sell at that price if I have a bunch not refinished, and not sought after brands. Any tips, hints for better negotiating? Thanks in advance. Sorry I originally posted this on a Meerschaum advice post.

garageb08

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2012
Yah you are probably right. I'm not trying to make a killing. I like scrounging for old pipes at estate sales, garage sale, etc...some of the them are pretty rough. I enjoy tinkering and restoring them a bit, and if I get a lot I need to pawn them off somehow. Ebay is ok but a hassle. I thought 10 bucks each or 15 for the real nice looking ones (again low end pipes). The really nice onces I find, I keep for myself, of course. But thanks, for your advice. 15-20 per hour is helpful info.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
When negotiating... I have found it useful to bring a huge, hungry, bad tempered, and ugly looking dog wearing a worn out muzzle on a thread-bare leash with you.

This will tend to focus their minds, and instill a sincere desire to quickly reach an agreement on your terms. :D
:puffy:

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Saddly there is no set price that I have found. Lord knows I deal in Native American artifacts and was a gun dealer for years and theres no established book or a book that is a standard for dealers of old pipes as the undertaking of such a book would be overwhelming. The indristy standard book for Native American artifacts and values took 10 yrs of work to get the first edition out and 5 for the first edition of the blue book of gun values and the books will grow expenatly. so saying that heres what I do start with a price depending on what it is 20 to 30 bucks and after a set amount of time if it dont sell lower the price. some times you can get half of what it sold for new some times not.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
No name basket type pipes can usually be had in the $15 or so range. They are good to practice your refurbishment skills on and it you do a little better than break-even, that's not a bad thing. Watch shipping, as it can eat up any profit on the pipe.

I watch ebay a lot on brands/styles that I enjoy and that is the best way to get a general knowledge on what a pipe sells for.

Status
Not open for further replies.