PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I'm thoroughly enjoying my adventure with Burley blends and am looking to see if there may be better ways to smoke them.
So, do any of you all have preferences in bowl size for your favorite Burleys?
And as an interesting side note, do you dedicate a pipe to Burleys?

Reactions: kcghost and BenMN

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I really like burley in a cob so based on the MM legend from their website
"
Approximate Dimensions

Straight Length: 6 in / 152.4 mm

Bent Length: 5.75 in / 146.05 mm

Bowl Height: 1.75 in / 44.45 mm

Chamber Diameter: .75 in / 19.05 mm

Chamber Depth: 1.25 in / 31.75 mm"

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I have been smoking them in smaller pipes with bowls 18mm or 3/4 inch bowl diameter and about 36-38mm deep for less than six weeks now. Haunted Bookshop is lasting between an hour and a half and two and a half hours. It is amazing from top to bottom.

My most smoked blend is Haunted Bookshop and I have pipes I have only smoked that blend in without really dedicating them on purpose. It happened to work out that way and now that they are so well seasoned I see no need to start putting other blends in those particular pipes.

Reactions: kcghost and BenMN

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
What Burley blends are you liking?

I primarily smoke Pegasus from Cornell & Diehl. It is 3 Burleys with 2 Virginias and a touch of unflavored black Cavendish.

I smoke this in a variety of pipes, from wide-open Castellos to (comparatively) tight little Danish gems with the draft hole magically at the dead bottom of the chamber. They all have something to offer, part of which is probably the wood, but I think moreso- how a pipe is built will influence how it is best smoked. They invite us to learn their ways, and differences in packing, burn, etc. will influence the smoke.

Do try your favorite Burley in a cob, if you have not yet done so.

redleaderdave

Lurker
Jan 19, 2022
Bridgewater Ma
Do try your favorite Burley in a cob, if you have not yet done so.
I too am on a burley kick. I have two pipes that I've been using for burley, a MM Charles Towne Landing cob that I recently acquired that so far I've only smoked burley out of and will probably keep it that way and a Savinelli 207 that I smoke Virginia and burley blends out of.

I'll second what BenMN said about a cob. When I recently discovered my affinity for the burley leaf I read on more than one occasion that burley really shines in a cob. I'm not sure if that's truly the case or not but I think it does. Maybe its just in my head.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have a few dedicated burley pipes one for Aged Burly Flake a big ol knobby Peterson bent egg type shape and for Five Brothers a big ol Rossi Lumberman for some reason, the only way I can really taste Old Dark Fired is in a cob might be a quirk cause Bold Dark Fired Taste Better in briar. Enjoy the Journey

Reactions: BenMN

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I'm thoroughly enjoying my adventure with Burley blends and am looking to see if there may be better ways to smoke them.
So, do any of you all have preferences in bowl size for your favorite Burleys?
And as an interesting side note, do you dedicate a pipe to Burleys?
I'm in the process of dedicating certain pipes to certain tobaccos, mostly because of the ghosting factor. I love wood, and in my experience at least, there are distinct burning characteristics to different woods. Cherrywood and Meerschaum pipes ghost and smoking say, a strong Navy blend in a cherrywood pipe that has been "programmed" for a cherry flavoured tobacco may lead to an off taste in that pipe. You might get away with it once or twice, but you'll need to reprogramme that pipe (good cleaning and reaming and two or three bowls of the preferred fodder).

I have eight cherrywood pipes I smoke on a regular basis, and stick with the same type in each of those pipes.

In my experience, the best pipes for universal smoking of all tobaccos are briar and ashwood, common in churchwardens. However, be careful, really careful, in breaking in ash because it burns very hot and you can ruin the pipe by less than a meticulous breaking in with a very cool burning tobacco. Once it's got the cake, it settles down and there isn't much difference between the smoking qualities of ash and briar.

I have 5 ash pipes, and have ruined 2 of them by breaking them in carelessly. The other three smoke great with a variety of tobaccos. All 5 are churchwardens. The 3 I use are now "go-to's, like my favourite briars. Ash, in my experience, cannot be "reprogrammed." Once done, it's toast and becomes a throwout or wallhanger. and that's a pity because it's such a beautiful wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenMN