PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know the best way to store tobacco is in a canning jar, and I have a number of those. I also like to

sample moderate quantities of tobacco I buy in a sealed pouch. Just bought a boxed pouch of

Carter Hall; I've always had Granger, Half-and-Half, and PA as my OTC fall backs. Question: how long

will tobacco keep in a sealed pouch? I would think they are designed for pretty good shelf life. But

I don't want to push my luck.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I buy pouch tobacco to put in my boat because I don't care to take tins out there. But I put the

pouches in water tight containers that you can get in the sporting department of Wally World. It

keeps them quit well if kept out of the sun....

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
In my experience if you get it fresh in the first place it usualy holds up for about 2-3 weeks (Bad experience with some OTC SWR); enough time to smoke the whole pouch. If you put it in a water tight container it'll hold up as long as the as the to humidity levels are good. Youcan use those tablets and it'll last as long as anything else you store. Lots of guys prefer tupperware over jars.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
My motto is "if you can smell the tobacco through the container, it is losing it's flavor and will soon become dry and stale". That is why I prefer glass.

However, it is not practical to take glass in a car, boat or camping. I determine how much tobacco I will use on the outing and place that amount into a roll-up plastic tobacco pouch.

Carter Hall and others can be purchased in foil pouches and I have never had problems with tobacco going stale in these.

Others would say I'm a bit OCD but to me there is nothing better than fresh/aged tobacco in a clean pipe.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
By sealed do you mean new from store?
I had a sealed pouch of MacB's plumcake for about 3mo and it was fine. After opening them they will dry out in a couple wks maybe less depending on RH in your area.
At the beginning of the week I load up my 3-4 pouches with an amount I feel will last me for the week. It dries a little but nothing I get worried about. Usually by the end of the wk I dump a little bit back in my jar(s) and give them a little mix so the drier stuff is distributed throughout the jar and gets rehydrated while balancing the moisture with the rest of the tobacco.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
@cavendish, pick up a few humidity discs and put them in your pouches with your baccy and you will be good. They are really cheap and work good. I always have one in my pouch and baccy will last over a week without drying out too much.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
All pouches I've seen so far weren't really sealed; the flap is just kind of taped shut, or not, with the pouch enclosed in cellophane...except for Half and Half. The Half and Half pouch is actually sealed tight and the cellophane package is sealed, too. I think it can be cellared for a long time without putting it in a jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.