PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Since the "Chinese Flu" hit these shores a few years ago, I have successfully dodged catching it and thought I had cleared the gauntlet. But recently, I went to my last surviving Aunt's 90th bday party in Atlanta and was around a lot of folks. A few days after I returned home, I began feeling a scratchy throat and thought I'd be cautious and did the Covid test. Well...... it was positive. The experience has not been too bad but I have been very tired and been doing a lot of serious napping. I had heard about the loss of taste and smell, but have retained those two senses and food tastes ok.

Today, I tried my first bowl of a nice Virginia and it was as flat as a flitter.....

Have any of you who have gone through the Covid shuffle experienced a disappointment in how your pipe tasted afterwards? If so, how long did it take before it came back to you?

I'm not planning on jumping out of any windows or anything drastic, but this is a downer.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I've had long Covid tongue for over a year. It affects the taste buds at the tip of my tongue, but I can pretty much taste everything, with a bit less intensity. It's just annoying, not critical. I can still enjoy a bowl, all the aroma and most of the taste.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Since the "Chinese Flu" hit these shores a few years ago, I have successfully dodged catching it and thought I had cleared the gauntlet. But recently, I went to my last surviving Aunt's 90th bday party in Atlanta and was around a lot of folks. A few days after I returned home, I began feeling a scratchy throat and thought I'd be cautious and did the Covid test. Well...... it was positive. The experience has not been too bad but I have been very tired and been doing a lot of serious napping. I had heard about the loss of taste and smell, but have retained those two senses and food tastes ok.

Today, I tried my first bowl of a nice Virginia and it was as flat as a flitter.....

Have any of you who have gone through the Covid shuffle experienced a disappointment in how your pipe tasted afterwards? If so, how long did it take before it came back to you?

I'm not planning on jumping out of any windows or anything drastic, but this is a downer.
I got it when everyone was wondering if it would get here. Was like the worse flu I've had except it lingered for a really long time. Afterwards pipe tobacco all tasted acrid and ashy with no other definition. It all tasted the same. Slowly the senses started coming back and now it seems like it was before. But worse then that was the constant hot flashes for a few months that slowly became infrequent hot flashes over a few years.
The two nastiest things about it by the way are that it effects people wildly differently and that it spreads fast. I've had the whole office get a flu but it filtered through people over time, almost everyone got it with in a few days.
Fun fact why mild can be bad. Ebola is about as easy to transmit, but if you got that you're staying home.

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Everybody is different. For some people the taste changes reverse after a few days or weeks. For others it can take months. I had the virus about 18 months ago and my sense of smell is still different than before. Previously Virginias and mild English blends tasted wonderful to me. Now they taste like wet cardboard. ☹️ But now I enjoy aromatics, which I didn’t like before.
The moral of the story: be patient.

ThomasS

Can't Leave
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
It’s different for everyone. I’ve had every vaccine booster, but I’ve still tested positive three times.
For me, it starts with all taste being muted into mush - not “no taste”, just everything exceedingly weak. After that, my taste of sour comes back first. EVERYTHING is exceptionally sour, even plain water. Not a good time for a pipe, but actually sour things taste nice. I had several glasses of quite refreshing lemon juice. Then one morning it’s back to normal, lemon juice is intolerable, and I stop soaking all of my pipes in alcohol and salt.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Agree with OP. Despite keeping up to date will all of the available boosters, I came down with a mild case of covid a month ago - like a case of the flu. As a type 2 diabetic, I fared pretty well. Taste is still rather muted, but getting better. It's the little nuances that are missing. I anticipate that all will be back to normal in a few months. My daughter had that bug at the same time. She did not get all of the boosters and had a bit worse time of it than I did. She's a millennial - go figure! :ROFLMAO:

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Everyone relates a slightly different experience. My taster went off for over a year. Even now, I sometimes re-discover a taste that I had forgotten, whether in food or tobacco or whiskey. It's like my brain is re-wiring itself after damage or something. For a more professional explanation, I'd recommend contacting the great Dr. Anthony Fauci, sometimes referred to as "Sphincter Boy." He knows everything, I'm told.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I've had issues with the taste of tobacco that have nothing to do with Covid. I know this because it started well before the pandemic did. First, I noticed that my single malts started tasting salty, metallic, and sour.

I had taken a break from Latakia blends for a while and went to light one up one day. No smokey campfire taste - the flavor of the blend was just ashy cardboard. Tried a different English in a different pipe a few weeks later - same issue. Burley, VA, perique, aros, etc. all taste normal. Again, this was several years ago and before Covid hit.

To this day, I still can't taste latakia very well. I get maybe 5-10% of the smoky flavor, but the ashy stale taste overrides all other flavor in the blend. I've kicked up my dental hygiene regimen and seen a dentist, and the problem persists. I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to enjoy latakia again.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016

Sorry you had to experience this at all. To answer your question, yes, my taste with tobacco and coffee were affected. It took a couple months to recover my taste with tobacco. With coffee … it took several months before it tasted right to me. (This didn’t stop me from consuming either, though. ;) )

Reactions: Choatecav

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Can take a while and the cause is not necessarily Covid. I had a lot of industrial strength antibiotics after bouts of sepsis 2021-2023 and after each episode, taste recovery took ages. I stopped the pipe because I was upset that the nuances were gone, it didn't seem worth the trouble. After the last lot, I rehabbed with a tin of Skiff and that did the trick.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
There were a few weeks when tobacco seemed like shit to me. I was worried, I thought I would never smoke again. Then my senses of taste and smell returned to normal, I don't know what percentage. It was frustrating. Now for the moment I enjoy, and I feel again that pleasure of smoking. I wish you a speedy recovery, my friend.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
It was a combination of covid and some other issues, but I have completely lost my sense of smell.

I have adapted, meaning my nose functions a different way now... but I cannot smell in the traditional sense. I can tell if something is sweet, I can tell if something is sour, I can tell if something is foul, and I can pick up density and moisture changes in the air... but I can't smell a thing. It's terrible.

My nose has been this way for about 2 years now.

Obviously, the lack of smell has affected my ability to taste... It is dulled down a bit, but I can fortunately pick up flavors. I can't pick apart subtleties like I once could, and everything is quite a bit more bland, at least I can still taste.

I'm scheduled to have some surgery on my nose and coming months and I'm hoping this might relieve some of the problems.

Pecos Dill

Lurker
Aug 3, 2024
Upstate New York
COVID completely killed my sense of smell and taste for about a year (truly NO smell or taste whatsoever), and even then I had issues with things tasting and smelling not quite right.

When I was able to regain some of my senses, everything had a slight hint of decay, a rancid moldering misery that was all in my head.

One of the worst was the smell and taste of coffee, whose alluring aromatic qualities are renowned worldwide, now suddenly smelling and tasting like what I can only describe as wet, dead, dog. This was extremely difficult for me because I was working in a retail setting where coffee was ~80% of our daily profits…

After struggling with regaining taste slowly and retraining my palate to remember what things tasted like, one day it was like the lock opened and my normal sense of smell came flooding back to me. I celebrated with a new tin of Balkan Sasieni.