PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
For the first time I am getting some true plugs. 3P, Wessex Gold, etc. Also have a black twist rope. Is it better for aging and taste to leave it a plug or rope and only cut off what I use, or to cut it up completely and jar it?

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I am definitely placing in jar, but should I cut it all up and mix it, or leave as a plug?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I shave some off the plug as I smoke. Never had luck trying to flake it, but have cube cut it. I just keep the remainder as a plug in the jar or tin.

However, there is nothing wrong with preparing the whole thing. Gawith has several ropes they also sell ribbon cut and flakes in general are just sliced plugs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll second the above. Cut some and rub it out for smoking and keep the rest in a jar, or the tin if you plan to cut more regularly. It keeps better in plug form and tastes better. I'm glad to say I have an unopened tin of 3-P on hand; it's an excellent stronger blend.

Reactions: Old_Newby and UB 40

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Leave the plug as is, I've recently tried 3P's for the first time and plan to leave it in its tin. May take me a year or more to use it up but I can't see it drying out at all in that time, don't think it is even worth getting a jar for it as it's mouth watering moist, dense and oily. Why the hell it took me so long to try it I don't know, it is a fantastically stout little brick of nicotine.

64alex

May 10, 2016
The reason for leaving in the jar as an uncutted plug or rope is that it ages and mellow better staying all together. When you want to smoke slice in the thinnest slices you are able using a decent knife (I use a carbon opinel). For me slicing the plugs and ropes is part of the positive experience and currently most of my baccy are in that form ( I never had a bad plug or rope). But if you don't like the slicing process go with flakes and coins, many plugs and robes are sold in their flakes and coins counterparts.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
If I’m only smoking one blend for a while I’ve found the sweet spot is to cut off three smokes worth. This may take me an afternoon or a couple of days to get to. If I’m only cutting for a smoke at a time, any scraps go back into the jar with the plug/rope and I use as kindling next time I revisit the blend.

Reactions: Deano and Old_Newby

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I get the most consistent results cutting thin slices off of a plug with a regular stiff spined butcher/chef knife on a cutting board

Reactions: Old_Newby

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Just FYI if you like plugs and don't mind chucking 20 bucks you ought to try Salty Dogs. Good stuff

Reactions: Old_Newby

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Just FYI if you like plugs and don't mind chucking 20 bucks you ought to try Salty Dogs. Good stuff
Thanks. I have heard good things about some Dan tobaccos. Salty Dog is expensive. I will consider later as for now I have other VaPers to try.

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I'm lazy. Unless I buy a large tin I rub the whole thing out and put it back in the tin. But I smoke most of the day. So it doesn't usually last very long.