PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatsteaks

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
Need a reliable lighter. Functionality first, expensive looks not needed. Need a good pipe lighter for pocket use. Thanks for any recommendations. Must be soft flame, have a tamper preferably removable, and a fuel window, I'm tired of running out in the middle of the day.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my experience nothing beats a Corona Old Boy lighter. It does not have a fuel window but it is reliable. Every electronic ignition lighter like Colibri, Lotus and the like are unreliable. The Vector flint pipe lighter with tamper is a piece of crap. I have a lighter collection with pipe lighters, cigar lighters and I have a friend who owns a cigar shop and he sells all kinds of lighters, so I do have a mot of experience. I have seen Colibris come back at a rate of 50 percent of worse. Zippo makes a pipe lighter that is reliable and the best in the wind, but no tamper.
I just went through two Lotus lighters that blew their seals, one after a few months, the other after 1 day. My local guy takes them back but it is ridiculous.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
greatsteaks...I would recommend you remove the tamper as part of your requirements. You can use just about anything in a pinch for a tamper. I have two vector lighters that have been super reliable for me and both have a tamper. One is hidden and slides up into the lighter the other fold out of the lighter with a pick and a spoon as well. The problem with both is the tamper is so small it isn't worth using. Also, when you use the tampers it will hold some ash and just get everything in your pockets dirty.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
After having my xicar pipeline replaced 4 times I finally got one that is working for more than a month. Jet line is a new pipe lighter have seen around for less than 30 bucks. It looks and feels solid. The ones I have player around with come with a pleather case and are made in Japan. I have not had good luck with pipe lighters and have often reverted to matches for extended periods of time.

Dec 24, 2012
I think you are SOL on the fuel window. I have three old boys and they are unbelievably reliable. That said, there is a relatively new lighter called a pearl eddie that may well be my next lighter. Look them up. They get fantastic reviews. WHat they do better than an old boy is stay lit outside in moderate winds. The problem with the old boys is if you are trying to use them outside, and someone farts n the next county, the flame goes out. Not so with the pearl eddie I am told (and have read).

Dec 24, 2012
Following up on what I said above, here is what Neil wrote on his passion for pipes blog:
Anyone who has used an old boy lighter knows that they are nearly impossible to light in any sort of breeze at all. The wake from a butterfly’s wing will blow out an old boy lighter – unless it is a Pearl.
I am astonished to discover that the Pearl lights and stays lit outdoors, even in a breeze. This reliability is due to there being two orifices from which the butane emerges. Other old boy lighters have only one orifice. So there are actually two flames that appear as one, and they reinforce each others’ presence. Having used the lighter now for a month, I can report that it almost always lights at first strike and it stays lit. Wow. This simple engineering improvement means that I don’t have to plan around the possibility of wind when I smoke outside.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I picked up a Lacardo JetLine lighter recently for less than $30, and I've been very satisfied. Solidly built, lights every time, and has a built-in tamper, scraper and pick. Comes with a carrying case, too. The only other thing I could wish for is a visible fuel reservoir.
312ivip.jpg

lildutchboy

Lurker
Dec 1, 2012
Rothnh: I got one of those thunderbird inserts for christmas. I like it a lot. All of the fun of a zippo and none of the evaporating fuel.

pipelighters

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
Mississippi
Bought a Vector Armor Dual Flame Lighter. It has a torch flame for cigars & a soft-side flame for pipes. It has a nice easy view window on the side. Not great for the wind though.

PL

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
After reading this topic, while smoking my Savinelli Tevere, I went looking at the Jetliner Pipes. I found this one:
TC_975371_ET010978_1

The pipe in that picture happens to be the exact pipe I'm smoking now. It's a sign!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I gotta tell you, i'm becoming a bit JetLine fan. Thats a real nice looking lighter (and pipe too).

Status
Not open for further replies.