Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I will actually be looking to trade this winter. Mine is a Ford 600, but I have way outgrown it. As much as I love the vintage models, I am just going to HAVE to get a new one. Productivity takes precedence over coolness when money starts coming into the picture. But, I LOVE old tractors.
Doing some Bush hogging today.
A10BEA8F-9862-4528-B260-3EE03BFC79F8.jpeg

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
@cosmicfolklore

Explain the anatomy of a pith helmet. I may get one myself.
For reasons that defy logic I happen to have two pith helmets. If you are interested message me and I’ll send you the one I haven’t worn ( the one with the strap) gratis. There isn’t much chance I’ll wear out two of these in one lifetime.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
We'd get along well. I got a used Harris Tweed from Orvis that I wear when its very cold.

We have one hundred years old Leuter's Hardward here in Huntsville with pith hats, but hells bells, there is not much they don't have....LOL!!
I've got an Orvis Harris Tweed Half Norfolk jacket that I wear on cold days; but then as far as people around here are concerned I'm the 'Gringo loco quem fuma cachimbo' (Crazy gringo who smokes a pipe) so no one is surprised.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Bingo. I figure some of our members there have been to that very spot. All those roads still exist.
It's changed a bit since then...

When my brother first went to Singapore (2000's) he and his wife wanted to have a drink in Raffles but as he was wearing shorts they wouldn't let him in (well, they have to maintain their standards). He mentioned this to Dad who replied

"Raffles is overrated; you should have gone to the Officers Club across the road".

My brother "when were you last there?"

"1945"

"it's changed a bit since then"

(Dad was also there in 1942 but got out on one of the last - if not the last - planes to evacuate.)

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
It's changed a bit since then...

When my brother first went to Singapore (2000's) he and his wife wanted to have a drink in Raffles but as he was wearing shorts they wouldn't let him in (well, they have to maintain their standards). He mentioned this to Dad who replied

"Raffles is overrated; you should have gone to the Officers Club across the road".

My brother "when were you last there?"

"1945"

"it's changed a bit since then"

(Dad was also there in 1942 but got out on one of the last - if not the last - planes to evacuate.)
I went to the Raffles once and had the requisite Singapore Sling at the Long Bar. The Sling was far too sweet but the peanuts were fun. I can't remember if they were free but you were encouraged to drop the shells on the floor so the place was littered with them.

I did not see the ghosts of Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maugham, or Anthony Burgess.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I went to the Raffles once and had the requisite Singapore Sling at the Long Bar. The Sling was far too sweet but the peanuts were fun. I can't remember if they were free but you were encouraged to drop the shells on the floor so the place was littered with them.

I did not see the ghosts of Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maugham, or Anthony Burgess.
Sadly the only time I've been in Singapore (as opposed to changing planes at the airport which I've done a lot of) Raffles was closed for refurbishment. Perhaps one day...

Reactions: mingc