PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
I saw a picture of a nice cigar sitting ontop of a glass of whiskey, and I my mind told me that looks nice...
Now I am into aromatics with pipes... Are there any cigars that are similar to aromatics?
Price differences? taste differences? room note differences?

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
Room note difference is HUGE. Thankfully, hubby prefers to smoke his cigars either outside or at work.
ETA: This is coming from a cigarette smoker, at that.

mtpipe

Lurker
Jan 18, 2012
CAO cigars are flavored the same as their pipe tobacco (Moontrance, Bella Vanilla, etc...). Pipe tobacco is much cheaper. I quit cigars after tasting pipe tobacco.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
As pipewife stated... the room note is MUCH stronger with a cigar.
I personally enjoy a cigar every so often but I so much prefer my pipe... the flavors of the different tobaccos in the different blends adds much more complexities in the flavors.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Have had several very nice cigars in my life and either I'm doing it wrong or it's not my thing. I thoroughly enjoy every aspect of pipes better. Taste, ease, price, etc. Not to say I will never have another fine cigar if presented to me or if the mood strikes to try it out again...

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
Jonathan Drew who owns Drew Estates cigars has a line called Acid which are flavored. Not my thing but he uses quality tobacco. I met him at Cigar Fest a fe w years ago. A cool dude.

anachronislad

Lurker
Oct 8, 2012
I'm sort of split between cigars and pipes right now. It really depends on the blend and cigar you smoke but in general form me the cigars I smoke are more earthy and spicy ( some even have chocolate notes) and I tend to like the taste better than my pipe tobaccos. Although I do have some tobacco which tastes better, like I say it really depends on the blend and the cigar everyone's taste is different. Just on an ease of use standpoint, cigars are a little easier for me. I tend to be on the to a lot and don't usually have much time to sit down and take the time to pack and smoke a bowl. It also doesn't help that I don't have the best memory, so it's easy for me to throw a couple cigars in my bag and go in my way. I do agree with everyone that the room note is much heavier with cigars, my girlfriend rather detests it so I have to smoke when she's not around and smoke pipes when she is. By other than that, I'd say just experiment and try everything you can.

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I am an avid cigar smoker. The two are quite different. I prefer non flavored cigars, but don't mind aromatics in my pipe. As stated, the room note is very strong for pipes no matter what variety you use. Cigars produce much more smoke than pipes. I prefer cigars over pipes, but they cost quite a bit more, and to me cigars are more convenient. Maybe as I get better with the pipe my preference will change.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
IF you want to try an aromatic cigar, go for an acid kuba kuba.
as far as price goes, a CAO Moontrance Torpedo will run you about $8 for one smoke. Or buy a tin of CAO moon trance pipe tobacco for $10 and have 10 smokes...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
CAO's flavored cigarillos are what got me into cigars. It's a completely different world of tobacco than pipe tobacco. I started out with a tin of ten CAO Moontrance cigarillos that run around $15-$25 depending on the B&M. Then a tried a few others like Bella Vanilla and Carmello Joe. From there I checked out CAO's website to see the leaf combinations and then moved into regular cigars. I've come to find that a good intro cigar from pipes would be some mixture of Dominican, Cameroon, and or Nicaraguan. Those tend to be mild-medium bodied with a good flavor to them. I've gotten the feeling that the cigar world can run you a bit more than the pipe world, as it seems most good cigars run between $5-$10 per cigar. That's why for me I just have one here and there and haven't gotten into smoking cigars in any form of regularity.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Cigar tobacco IS more expensive then pipe tobacco, but when PAD sets in and we start spending money on pipes it's probably equal in the end.

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
As for flavored cigars, stay away from the machine mades. They are crappy. The Acid brand is a well done "flavored" cigar. It's actually infused instead of direct flavoring. I like the Extraordinary Larry in the Acid line. It's a big mother, but very smooth.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have smoked a lot of cigars in my time, although now I am probably 99% pipe.
As has been pointed out, the room note is much different. I only smoke cigars outside.

I have never smoked a flavored cigar,except for some Wolf Brothers Crooks long ago - say, 40 years - and see no reason to do so again. But I don't smoke aromatic pipe tobacco, either.
As for price differences, cigars are a lot pricier. Those Acid Kuba Kubas mentioned above cost $145 for a box of 24 from JR Cigars, and that's probably as low as you will find. You can get a decent Stan or the equivalent for that money, and probably get some tobacco to go with. If you don't buy a pipe, $145 is a lot of tobacco.

Jul 12, 2011
I enjoyed cigars "solid" for over 18+ years...happy to say I have

crossed over a few years ago to purely pipe tobacco....don't

have "ANY" desire to go back to cigars....smoked "ALL"' worth

smoking and still pipe tobacco is on another level.....I smoke

for flavor and pure enjoyment of the blends...room note/haha

and the added bonus of PAD/oh what I have been missing....

great fun playing catch-up brother and sisters :)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Moontrance Cigars are just yummy aromatic cigars! Moontrance pipe tobacco is even better! My cigar of choice are the CAO Moontrance Cigarillos and CAO MX2 small cigars (due to low cost). As for the pipes vs cigars debate, I am 95% pipes and 5% cheapie cigars (or whatever full-sized cigar scraps someone gives me, mostly my dad).

oldshacker

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2012
I enjoy a 11 inch no.54 onyx maduro cigar each night in the summer then in the winter the pipes start to smoke. Winter for me, is the time for my cigars to age out. Then Summer is for my pipe tabacco to blind and mix and a rest period for all my pipes. It is a time to fix my pipes as well.

My son belongs with the Thompson cigar club so he receivs a bundle of cigars every other month. We enjoy the cigars and chats.

I enjoy both pipe and cigar smoking this way.

Today was a day of blowing leaves and smoking a few bowls of a mix my son made.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For a number of years I was smoking anywhere from 1500-2200 cigars a year. I have smoked every thing worth smoking,and I honestly believe that the flavors of pipe tobacco offer more variety and more complexity of flavor. Cigars are not cheap and even when you factor in the price of pipes, cigars are way more money. Once you own your pipes, you own them forever. A good cigar is at least 5 bucks and the price of a tin is ten, with bulk even less. There is no cheaper way to enjoy tobacco than a pipe in my opinion.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I keep a humidor full of Rocky Patel edge lite's and several other assorted cigars, but only smoke maybe one a month since I've started smoking a pipe. Cigars are a little more convenient at times but the price, flavor, and room note of a pipe makes it much more enjoyable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.