PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I have been burning in my new Peterson Bulldog, destined to become #1 favorite if I'm any judge. My tobacco has been exclusively Germain's Gold Leaf until today, tried some Cabbies in it.

This caused me to reflect that, while this pipe has all the potential to become my favorite, when it comes to the full flavor of a blend, none has yet equalled my codger pipe, the Sarome Cambridge, which cost me less than thirty quid.

I have now smoked some of this Gold Leaf batch in my Sarome and suddenly, it has become everything I expected it to be, as I remember it, whereas in the 80S, it was very good but missing that last touch of magic.

I've kind of been through this with my Dracula 221 and would say that only now, over a year down the line, is that starting to approach the integration of flavour which keeps me smoking pipes.

It's not down to particular blends - the Sarome has been a maid of all work, sometimes blend switching while it was still warm from the last, still full flavour - so is it the briar? But I also now have well used estate pipes in my collection and can't say they match my codger.

There's a formula here but I can't say what it is. Yes, my newish Peterson Cara is a brilliant flake pipe from day one, but even then I expect the flavours to improve. Do we sometimes dismiss blends because we've simply smoked them in the Wrong Pipe? I have more questions than answers.

Reactions: grimpeur and JOHN72

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Once fully broken in there's not much difference from pipe to pipe. Just sound like the new Peterson needs more smoking time. I no longer notice any difference between my four figure pipes versus those under $100.

Reactions: warren and BingBong

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Once fully broken in there's not much difference from pipe to pipe. Just sound like the new Peterson needs more smoking time. I no longer notice any difference between my four figure pipes versus those under $100.
The new one is picking up quickly; had a smoke of St James Flake in the Cara and that was great too. The Dracula has been a slow mover, where the component flavors were just out of sync with eachother - but it has been a champ with Orlik flakes and preferred pipe for those.