PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Pretty exciting will all the anti-fun police “cleansing” things for our own good.

You are obviously a paranoid, non-conforming, and possibly delusional citizen, Mr. Digger.

Please prepare for a friendly visit from some friendly Management Representatives at your home tomorrow who are eager to discuss your unhappiness in a friendly way, and assist you in enjoying the bountiful munificence of a properly conducted Society life.

3:00 pm, your time.

Be there.

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 9.42.08 PM.png

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
When I think of the BBC and pipes, I think of their series "Sherlock". The pipes in it are conspicuous by their absence. As a Holmes fan I can't help but take exception to their trying to be politically correct making them corrupt an iconic character. Instead of a pipe he has a nicotine patch. What a bumber! puffy

I think I shall write a stern letter to the TIMES.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
This one is fun. Now that @hoosierpipeguy is buying the clays, it's kind of back to the future for him!

Thanks for posting this video, remember seeing it years ago.
Bless her, can’t help but feel sorry for old Mary. All on her own with just a peat fire & clay pipe to keep her going. Not much of a life is it.

Don’t know if this link will work but another interesting little video about clay pipes, courtesy of the old BBC Nationwide programme.

Bollocks! Didn’t work.🙁
If somebody cleverer than me on the old link thingy, would like to try & post it here, Google this & it should come up;
1974: BBC Nationwide Pipe Smoking

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Thanks for posting this video, remember seeing it years ago.
Bless her, can’t help but feel sorry for old Mary. All on her own with just a peat fire & clay pipe to keep her going. Not much of a life is it.

Don’t know if this link will work but another interesting little video about clay pipes, courtesy of the old BBC Nationwide programme.

Bollocks! Didn’t work.🙁
If somebody cleverer than me on the old link thingy, would like to try & post it here, Google this & it should come up;
1974: BBC Nationwide Pipe Smoking
Found a different source! Don't take those pipes to the loo alone!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Found a different source! Don't take those pipes to the loo alone!
Thanks for doing that, mate.👍
Looked like a fun evening didn’t it. Lol. Well, apart from having to be frogmarched & accompanied into the lavatories, if you needed to go.😱

I couldn’t help but notice Lester Batt, the 20 year old slaughter man bore a strong resemblance to our very own @halfdan.🤓

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When I think of the BBC and pipes, I think of their series "Sherlock". The pipes in it are conspicuous by their absence. As a Holmes fan I can't help but take exception to their trying to be politically correct making them corrupt an iconic character. Instead of a pipe he has a nicotine patch. What a bumber! puffy

I think I shall write a stern letter to the TIMES.
from my understanding it's less politically correct and more a bad attempt at putting their own spin on it. More they felt like it would be too awkward seeming too forced. And as usual in life when you try to force something you end up doing worse. Like the nicotine patch feels more off and weird then if the guy just smoked a damn pipe. One thing they said is that half the scenes he couldn't even smoke anyways without having to write some bit about him being told he can't.
That said to me the whole show felt just wrong and never got me interested enough to even check it out.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know if it was BBC or another British thing but Jeeves and Wooster certainly is fun for playing spot the pipe, and as a pipe smoker you can tell they actually put some thought into who would smoke what pipe, even with back ground actors. One of the best shows ever by the way. One show which could have gone on another 50 seasons and still been great. The only issue with that show is seeing how badly some British actors are at doing American accents (makes me feel a lot better about my fake cockney accent).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
As a Holmes fan I can't help but take exception to their trying to be politically correct making them corrupt an iconic character.

The BBC has gone from a world-class legit news and information dissemination organization to a de facto governmental arm whose job is to morph society in a particular direction.

The end.

As for "politically correct", the phrase is starting to sound outdated because it implies personal choice. The ever-increasing ability to monitor what people think and how they act---and punish them for making "wrong" decisions or saying the "wrong" things---is rapidly putting an end to THAT concept. lol

Where is it headed? Nowhere good.

There's nothing new going on in terms of dynamics that hasn't been going on since the Dawn of Man, btw. Humans are just human-ing. The difference is the technology... the wannabe kings and emperors now have vastly more effective and intrusive tools to do their conquering and controlling with.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The BBC has gone from a world-class legit news and information dissemination organization to a de facto governmental arm whose job is to morph society in a particular direction.

The end.

As for "politically correct", the phrase is starting to sound outdated because it implies personal choice. The ever-increasing ability to monitor what people think and how they act---and punish them for making "wrong" decisions or saying the "wrong" things---is rapidly putting an end to THAT concept. lol

Where is it headed? Nowhere good.

There's nothing new going on in terms of dynamics that hasn't been going on since the Dawn of Man, btw. Humans are just human-ing. The difference is the technology... the wannabe kings and emperors now have vastly more effective and intrusive tools to do their conquering and controlling with.
The BBC, from Day One, has been the media outlet for the British government.

Now, back to our show.