PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Just want to put my 2 cents in about Pipeinhands Winter Solstice blend.

First off this I very informal as far as reviews are concerned but rather a mere overview.

I have yet to be disappointed by one of his blends.

He describes Winter Solstice as an aro with some Latakia. Upon opening the bag the lat is present but nowhere near overwhelming. After several bowls it is clear this is one of my favorite blends to date. It has the classic around taste and smell with a full body due to the lat. Gotta get more than the 1 oz I started with, perhaps 8.

I also picked up from him for the first time some Autumn Walk. A much heavier lat presence in this aro but enjoyable still. If you love lat blends jump on this one.

Also picked up more Yule pudding which,as far as my tastes go, could be one of the most enjoyable aros around. A superb room note and tastes great too! Like I said, informal and just my 2 pennies here.
Edit: Moved to Pipe Tobacco Reviews, L.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Thanks mctrav, this one was just a taste of Latakia. I used it as one would use seasoning in cooking, not like Autumn Walk which is the other way around.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting the review -- or overview. :clap:

I should think Pipeinhand is very gratified to know his creations have more than personal appeal;

and that should be an encouragement to do even more blending.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm smoking some of this in my Meer right now. Wow! Unless Latakia is just anathema to you (like Belgian Mick), even those who are not fans of English will like this. The Latakia is very gentle and mellow and just provides a little bit of campfire in the background. Mostly what you get is a great tobacco taste, like you'd find in a VA along with some whiskey and fruit in the aroma.
I said it before and I'll say it again. pipeinhand does some wonderful things with the concept of the American Aromatic. I like this one more than Yule Pudding and almost as much as Honey Malt. Guys who like the Halfling's Leaf profile but want something smokier and actually milder with more emphasis on the tobaccos will love this!
I reccommend dry time as always, but even out of the pouch it burns even and isn't remotely goopy. Once I've tried this in several pipes, I'll post a full review.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
After just about finishing the sole ounce of Winter Solstice I can't recommend this blend enough! I think every one will take something positive from this blend, or maybe I just love it that much!! Thanks again Pipeinhand now I need to order lots more soon. The wife even loves this blend, even got a kiss WHILE Smoking! Who would've thought.

groundsar

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2010
Sounds like a couple blends I'd like to try. Where can I find them for ordering?

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
So I just received my latest order from Jack Lee Blends of Winter Solstice and Honey Malt. Thank goodness because I ran out of the winter and its my favorite blend. Talk about hitting the spot! Winter Solstice in my new Brebbia! Haven't tried the honey malt yet but smells amazing like all his other blends.

groundsar

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2010
I haven't yet fully developed my tobacco palate so I'm not comfortable doing a "review". I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed Winter Solstice thus far. I just like the flavor. It has been a nice slow smoker for me in a variety of pipes.

I also picked up a little Halfing's Leaf and Summer Sangria. They both smell amazing in the pouch. I can foresee getting more of these and trying more of pipeinhand's blends in the future.
Keep up the great work sir!

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Hey - so Pipeinhand's blends sound pretty interesting. I generally don't like aromatics, but can get behind something like English Chocolate. And since lots of his have latakia, and it sounds like they aren't too gooppy, my big question for anyone who has tried any -- how bad do they ghost? I fear ghosting like the plague, and don't have it in me, or my current sized collection, to add any aro dedicated pipes, especially since I almost never smoke aros. But if I can smoke these with relative ease without getting sucked into the white fuzz on my TV or keeping Ghostbusters on speed dial.....then I may go for it!

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'm gonna bump this once - because I was really hoping for an answer to the above question regarding spooky things.... :puffy:

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Honestly I don't have the answer to your question but the winter solstice and autumn walk are both likely to be up your alley since they have Latakia in them. Maybe someone will give the answer you're looking for. All I can say is dedicate a cob to at least try these blends they are that good.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I will jump in. if you are worried about the Aro in the mix ghosting, I don't feel they are too rich or prominent to ghost like a full on vanilla Aro, but if you are worried that the Lat might leave a note, which I don't think you are; if you smoke Aro's in any pipe that has been used for Lat you will get the Lat for quite a while before it smokes out, or cleaned though. Nether Autumn Walk or Winter Solstice has enough Aro to ghost a well smoked Lat/Syrian/Perique in, IMHO. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.