PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well, here's my first real thread on my personal opinions, based on my growth as a slow smoker in progress. And do chime in with your disagreements because I'm still very much in the learning phase.

The wooden stemmed Churchwarden, to me, is ideal for "probing". If you remember your biology classes in highschool, the toungue has different taste receptors in different areas of its matrix, and each will be explored by probing and atmospheric manipulation.

The long wooden stems are ideal for this because they smoke "cool" (what chef doesn't "rest" his roast before serving? And we all know that cheese tastes best at room temperature) and because of their length, can be manipulated by turning, different hand positions, and so forth.

Can you use other types of pipes? Of course you can and I do. You adjust by learning slow smoking techniques and taking in exterior air with the smoke as well.

It is my observation that the most complex tobaccos (like Orientals) are almost tailor made for these long stemmed vehicles. They have their own set of problems and the wooden stems are prone to cracking and you must be careful with them, and learn minor woodworking skills because they are natural substances very prone to wear and tear, especially when handled incorrectly. Strongly flavoured tobaccos I frankly prefer in standard, especially, straight pipes.

The Peterson P-Lip is a special case that I'll cover in a separate thread.

Please chime in. I'm all ears! :)

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im not sure I can tell a temperature diffence with long vs shorter pipes. Many swear there is no difference. My guess is that one at least drops more tar and moisture in a long airway. That would make a difference. I dont like P-lips as the one place I am more likely to get over heated is the roof of my mouth.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Just a small note - a churchwarden does not have to have a wooden stem. I have a couple; I don't smoke them much because they are a little more challenging to smoke when doing something else that requires use of the hands - even simply reading. The "long stem/smokes cooler" discussion has been going on for some time, with partisans on both sides. puffy

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I smoke churchwardens almost exclusively. Mine are all plastic or vulcanite stems. I really don't think they smoke significantly cooler, since the smoke is only in the stem for a split second, but they're ergonomically PERFECT for reading.
And maybe I like sitting outside with a book looking like an old man.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I have a few pipes that are too short and sometimes cause me to take some of the smoke up my nose, off the top of the bowl, as I inhale fresh air through my nose. So I avoid those.

If it's a big enough cloud of smoke, I'll choke until I see stars.

I doubt a long stem cools the smoke though... Sounds like a pipe urban legend.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Just a small note - a churchwarden does not have to have a wooden stem. I have a couple; I don't smoke them much because they are a little more challenging to smoke when doing something else that requires use of the hands - even simply reading. The "long stem/smokes cooler" discussion has been going on for some time, with partisans on both sides. puffy
I have two churchwardens with acrylic stems. I don't notice as much "cooling" with them as with wooden stems. In medieval times when they were actually used by Church Wardens and Watchmen, the pipes could reach a length of 15 feet. A bit cumbersome, I would think, but these guys had to keep their eyes on the grounds. This liason is of course how the pipes got their names. And in the land of the hookah, the tubes were also water cooled.

With my longest stems (14") there is a definite cooler smoke. With the shorter ones, say up to 9", no, not so much. The wood is a nicer feel to the mouth, but that's a personal preference. I've definitely had a taste benefit from the probing with the longer stems.

And remember, wood absorbs moisture. Acrylic does not. This is also a problem with wooden stems . . . they can split unless you allow them to cool down and dry out.

Last edited:

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have a few pipes that are too short and sometimes cause me to take some of the smoke up my nose, off the top of the bowl, as I inhale fresh air through my nose. So I avoid those.

If it's a big enough cloud of smoke, I'll choke until I see stars.

I doubt a long stem cools the smoke though... Sounds like a pipe urban legend.
Try a 12" wooden stem. Betcha you'll like it! :)

Hmmmm . . . then again maybe not. They can be a pain . . . .

Last edited:

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I smoke churchwardens almost exclusively. Mine are all plastic or vulcanite stems. I really don't think they smoke significantly cooler, since the smoke is only in the stem for a split second, but they're ergonomically PERFECT for reading.
And maybe I like sitting outside with a book looking like an old man.
I have two plastic stemmed CWs and i don't notice the difference as much . . . but wood, with very slow smoking techniques, yes, there is a difference. And remember, dry wood absorbs moisture, acrylic does not.

And you have to use slow smoking techniques to really sense the cooling benefits. . . . if you can't keep a pipe going for an hour, no, probably not much difference. For shorter smokes I use shorter stems in general. During a long smoke, I often leave the stem undrawn for 10 - 15 seconds. Slow smoking has opened up a whole new world for me.

Last edited:

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I love churchwardens and have a couple more on my wish list. My Stanwell HCA seems to smoke a bit cooler by default than the same pipe with its 5.5" stem. But regardless I agree that the subtle flavors of any blend only really appear for me when I am sipping and smoking slowly and coolly.