PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

holysmokes

Lurker
May 9, 2012
Allentown, PA
One of my favorite pipe smoking films is "The House of Fear" starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. Here's some of the more notable dialog:
Watson: "There's nothing like the first pipe of the morning. Can I try some of yours?"
[Capt. Simpson offers his open jar, blowing smoking in Watson's face].
Watson: "No thanks. I'll stick to my own."
Holmes: "Havana, isn't it?"
Simpson: "Aye. Flavored with Jamaca rum."
Holmes: "I take it you're not bothered by tobacco borrowers."
Dr. Merivalle: "No one else in the place touches the filthy stuff."
---------------
Holmes (lighting pipe): "There's too many clues."
Watson: "Muddie waters, eh Holmes?"
Holmes (blowing smoke in Watson's face): "Too muddy, as if someone was constantly stirring them up."
Watson: "Must you smoke that filthy stuff? It smells like an old sock."
Holmes: "Strong tobacco keeps one awake. You'd better have a pipe full. We've a long vigil ahead of us."
Watson: "I don't need any of that stink weed to keep me awake in this chamber of horrors."
-------------------------
It is, in fact, Capt. Simpson's empty tobacco jar that enables Holmes to resuce Watson from the clutches of the "Good Comrads" and unravel their plan to make off with the insurance money. Lots of great smoking scenes.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Likewise, Welcome to the forum.
There is an active thread already here about "Pipes in Hollywood" you may want to look at.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Welcome! I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan (as several are here) as well. I'm pretty sure I've either read, heard, or seen all (99% anyway) of Doyles work on Holmes. I like traditional views of Holmes though - I don't desire to see or hear the new movie versions. Hope to hear a lot more from you.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Welcome aboard....

I just ordered 26 Days by Regis McCafferty via kindle at the recommendation irishsmoker (another poster).

I'll start it tonight, ever hear of it? Described as Sherlock Holmes with more pipes......

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The new Holmes' are great. Both the Guy Ritchie directed ones with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law playing Holmes and Watson respectively and the modern day set ones with Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman (who will play Bilbo Baggins this December in The Hobbit) as Watson. I have to say Jude Law is by far my favorite Watson. Truest to the character Doyle created. He's the intelligent logical scientific man that Watson is in the stories. And David Burke, Edward Hardwicke, and Martin Freeman would be tied for second best in my book. Favorite Holmes is by far Jeremy Brett followed closely by Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Downey Jr. Never was a fan of the Rathbone/Bruce interpretations of Holmes. Bruce's portrayal of Watson seemed too bumbling and foolish to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.