PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
Back in 2009 I told an online buddy that I was quitting cigarettes and using Skoal to help but needed something to go with my morning coffee. I couldn't drink and dip at the same time and that's when I wanted a cigarette the most. Hearing this he sent me 6 pipes, four pouches of tobacco, a tamper, and matches to get me started. It worked. A pipe with my coffee was just what I needed. Fast forward 13 years and I haven't had a cigarette since but still dip. My pipe smoking was usually one bowl with my coffee in the morning. My morning pipes were ok but nothing special and I knew I was missing something. In January of this year, I retired, and my pipe smoking has moved to another level. I've gone from just one bowl a day to 4 or 5. My cadence is slower, and my puffs have become sips. Instead of a bowl lasting and average of 15 to 20 minutes, now it's usually 45 minutes to an hour. I get much more flavor and enjoyment than before. My goal now is to quit Skoal and go to the pipe full time. I love being retired but what I appreciate most is how it gave me time to really enjoy smoking a pipe and hone my technique. Since I know no other pipe smokers you all have been a huge help. From your posts I have gleaned from your wisdom and experience what I needed to get where I am today. Thank you all.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Isn't it great when you can relax and really enjoy your pipe.
Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy

I still work full time and I'm a weekend smoker.

My 2-3 hours on the front porch on Saturdays and Sunday's are my downtime and my wife respects that even though I know she'd like me to quit altogether.

Having to slow my cadence works as well as meditation for me.
That's my take on smoking. And that's what I tell my wife 😉

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Back in 2009 I told an online buddy that I was quitting cigarettes and using Skoal to help but needed something to go with my morning coffee. I couldn't drink and dip at the same time and that's when I wanted a cigarette the most. Hearing this he sent me 6 pipes, four pouches of tobacco, a tamper, and matches to get me started. It worked. A pipe with my coffee was just what I needed. Fast forward 13 years and I haven't had a cigarette since but still dip. My pipe smoking was usually one bowl with my coffee in the morning. My morning pipes were ok but nothing special and I knew I was missing something. In January of this year, I retired, and my pipe smoking has moved to another level. I've gone from just one bowl a day to 4 or 5. My cadence is slower, and my puffs have become sips. Instead of a bowl lasting and average of 15 to 20 minutes, now it's usually 45 minutes to an hour. I get much more flavor and enjoyment than before. My goal now is to quit Skoal and go to the pipe full time. I love being retired but what I appreciate most is how it gave me time to really enjoy smoking a pipe and hone my technique. Since I know no other pipe smokers you all have been a huge help. From your posts I have gleaned from your wisdom and experience what I needed to get where I am today. Thank you all.
" 45 minutes to an hour." Really! I can't help but wonder what you're smoking and what size pipes you're smoking it in.

Enjoy your retirement. I can tell you from experience it beats the hell out of going to work ever day! puffy

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Congratulations, Bearwolf! Retirement is a good thing. Glad you're finding time for what you enjoy.
I retired almost 2 years ago and I find that pipe smoking has been a real plus. It's relaxing, it makes me take time for reflection, it caused me to get connected with the fine gentlemen here 😜. I'm glad you have joined us as well!

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
" 45 minutes to an hour." Really! I can't help but wonder what you're smoking and what size pipes you're smoking it in.

Enjoy your retirement. I can tell you from experience it beats the hell out of going to work ever day!
Just regular sized pipes, I guess. I'm just smoking much slower, taking sips instead of puffs and using the breath method a lot of the time. And you're right, retirement beats the hell out of going to work every day. ;-)

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Congratulations on your retirement and finding greater enjoyment of your pipes. All the best while you continue your journey.
Thank you

Enjoy your retirement. I can tell you from experience it beats the hell out of going to work ever day! puffy
I went back and rethought this and what I should have said is that most bowls lasting at least 30 minutes and some lasting even up to 45 minutes and an hour. 45 mins is actually my average.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thank you. After the first few months of feeling I needed to be busy doing something I've learned the fine art of doing nothing.
the key to enjoying a long retirement from my observation is doing enough that you know the world will be different when you are gone. Doesn't have to be big, but somebody must be at least mildly inconvenienced by your absence. It could be your dog or cat or now someone else has to sweep up the church you volunteered at. And also learning how to take it easy and enjoy the right to be totally useless. Yeah life is kind of always like that. It sounds like a contradiction till you get into the finer details.