Pipe Screens, Screen Balls, or No Screen?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SSGT.

Lurker
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
Was talking with my 93 yr old uncle while breaking in my new Peterson. 1st thing I did was pull out the filter that they come with. he responded with "Good boy my brother taught you well, do you put that wire in the bowl?"
My Dad Passed long before I took up the pipe and can't remember if he used filters or screens, I don't I can see the reasoning behind them just wondering how many feel it is a good thing or like me feel its just something extra to worry about before you smoke. and if you use them are the actual screens better or the balls.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Screens are for smoking intended to be a forceful draw, delivering as much smoke as possible into a deep inhale to get the contents of the smoke into contact with as much respiratory tissue as possible to deliver as much of the active ingredients as possible. This method of smoking needs to filter the combustion products (ash, etc) so screens or drawing through water are necessary.

The methods above describe the intent of ingesting as many chemicals as possible per draw, and is used to deliver the active ingredients of cannabis, hashish and more. It is completely antithetical to the practice of smoking tobacco.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Sometime stem get clogged and they can be easily unclogged with a cleaner or blowing strongly. However in the double walled clay pipes if the drawing hole is clogged it cannot be reached by a cleaner. In this case or in any case when the cleaner cannot pass through the stem as in tavern style clay pipe a simple brass clean avoid this problem and I use them in these cases. It does not alter the taste or the draw and actually they are sold from some pipe stores for the use in the pipes. So while it is true they are mainly used for weed consumption they have an use in some types of pipes and are sold by some pipe stores. I do not use in any other situations other the ones described above.

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I bought some of those hemispherical screens and they do part of what a lot of folk do with the various chips they put in the bottom... create an air gap (of course a wire screen isn't going to absorb moisture like the chips do). Your draw is applied not just at the draw hole but to the entire bottom of the tobacco column. I think some complaints of a restrictive draw could be alleviated with a wire ball/screen. I'm a newb though that smokes his pipe once a week at most and I like gadgets/accessories.

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
You should see my kitchen.... I hate cooking and have a bunch of gadgets that I think will make that task easier. Doesn't negate the fact that I hate cooking. Being a biologic that requires food on the regular is such an inconvenience. If I were to win the lottery, I would build a guest cottage and hire a live-in cook/maid.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
Tobacco does not require screens, and they would plug up quickly with the same stuff we see on the pipe cleaner after each smoke. If you are smoking weed, it is dry and dusty and that is why screens are used. We don't discuss such things in pleasant company, and not on this forum either.:)
OP: Screens are not a part of enjoying fine pipe tobacco.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper