Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
If anyone is looking for a guy to make your favorite pipes look like new, I'd like to recommend Ken Davis.
I gave Ken 8 of my favorite pipes when I saw him at the Kansas City Pipe Show. There were 6 of my favorite Dunhills and 2 Comoys.
These pipes had been smoked A LOT!
They all had lots of bite marks (I clench and have a heavy bite), medium-to-heavy oxidation on the stems (some were green), almost all had char on the rims and the 2 black Dunhill Dress pipes had the stain worn off and you could see the bare wood showing through. They all had really uneven cake. The silver band on the Comoy was yellow.
Look at them now - click the group shot image for a larger version -

comoy-sterling-hc.jpg

Here's Ken's contact info if you are interested:

ken-davis-card.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Beautiful job! Thanks for posting the info.
@Eric - you can buy stems from Peterson's directly for about $40 US - you have to send your pipe so that they can fit it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Always happy to give up a witness to Ken. He took my three buck, beat to hell and gone, junk store Dunhill and turned it into a thing of beauty.
More importantly he's a wonderful gentleman, kind to a fault, who has forgotten more about piping than I'll ever know.
Fnord

kennyd

Lurker
Jan 20, 2012
A big thank you, Kevin,et al, for the kind words. Your pictures do me a great service!
Living in the Kansas City area means I can belong to the active
GREATER KANSAS CITY PIPE CLUB. Each Saturday

members meet at the Cigar & Tobac Shop in Overland Park, KS. Pipe culture is rich & about 5 years ago after I joined the group, guys started asking me if I could make their favorite pipes look like mine & so it began.
Refurbishing pipes is my second career derived out of my passions for pipesmoking & collecting for many years, fine woodworking & polishing also for many years. Just ask my wife about my polishing addiction, anything from her jewelery to the dining room table, I love make them look their best!
In my first career, through designing HVAC commercial air systems, for the air condtioning industry, I learned about the importance of air flow & how the internal design of each pipe affected it's performance.
I'd be happy to visit with you about restoring your pipes to a like new condition & since I'm "retired", my rates are reasonable,$20.00 per pipe base + freight. By the way, don't worry if your pipe comes back with a little extra work done, I only charge what we've agreed upon! :)
Thanks again,

Ken Davis

kennyd
Phone: 816-942-7729

email: kdavis12@kc.rr.com *Note: replacing stems is not one of my services, way too much inventory! Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.