PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Title says it all. I have two standard pipe rests, neither of which adequately accommodate either the bulge of the shank or the extreme bend of the stem. Any advice would be helpful. Pipe is pictured below, a Savinelli Tortuga 614.

Thanks!

tortuga.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Savinelli Hercules Oom-Paul and it fudges into a pipe stand I have. I have to slide the bowl forward enough in the scooped out hollow for the bowl to let the stem rest in its notch, but it fits. Maybe yours will too.

I have a MM cob freehand that is an awkward fit in my stands. I found an inexpensive single pipe stand for it that holds it nicely. You could also try that.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have a Savinelli Hercules Oom-Paul and it fudges into a pipe stand I have. I have to slide the bowl forward enough in the scooped out hollow for the bowl to let the stem rest in its notch, but it fits. Maybe yours will too.

I have a MM cob freehand that is an awkward fit in my stands. I found an inexpensive single pipe stand for it that holds it nicely. You could also try that.
It fits, but it slides around too much, and I'm concerned about it taking a tumble. Now that I'm looking at it, I might be able to widen the groove on the wooden stand where the stem rests. That may just keep it in place. Thanks for the tip though! ?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Boswells sells a leather bag rest that might work. I have one that fits some ginormous freehand pipes very well. Tonight when I get home I will try an Oom Paul and let you know.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something adhesive in the groove where the bowl rests might keep it in place, like one of those felt spots used on the bottom of pottery to keep it from scratching the furniture, or a small patch of electrician's tape or something similar that is slightly adhesive on the top might keep it from skidding off. Or a postage stamp size piece of duct tape with half folded double, but with a sticky patch, might act as a back stop to hold the bowl in place. I think a simple low-tech fix like this might do the job.