PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MrHolmes221b

Lurker
Jul 29, 2023
I have this old, must be over 20 years old now, leather Ferndown tobacco pouch that I loved. Super soft leather, and was just the right size. The rubber liner has long ago turned to crumbles. I was wondering if anyone knows if/how that liner can be replaced? Thanks in advance for any help.

MrHolmes

MrHolmes221b

Lurker
Jul 29, 2023
Yes, it can be repaired. All the stitches will have to be removed and a new latex rubber liner installed and re-stitched by hand. It might cost as much as a new pouch though.
I don't mind doing the work myself, I guess I can just get some latex rubber and give it a go.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Yes, it can be repaired. All the stitches will have to be removed and a new latex rubber liner installed and re-stitched by hand. It might cost as much as a new pouch though.
Yeah, the repair will probably cost several times the original cost. I’ve got a vintage tartan Dunhill Tobacco pouch that has the soft surgical rubber lining that I gave up on and replaced with a new one that I found on eBay. I just love that soft chamois leather.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since the holes are already there, some waxed thread, a hand needle, a sheet of rubber, and some contact cement (to hold things together while stitching) would do the deed nicely if you're so inclined. No machinery required.

MrHolmes221b

Lurker
Jul 29, 2023
Since the holes are already there, some waxed thread, a hand needle, a sheet of rubber, and some contact cement (to hold things together while stitching) would do the deed nicely if you're so inclined. No machinery required.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I was looking at some silicone or nitrile (food grade) sheeting instead of latex, might hold up better. Barge for the contact cement? Might leave too much of a smell...