atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
Ive got a couple of pipes stamped:
Lafond's Vintage

Algerian Briar

Made In France
My questions are.......was Lofond's a tobacconist in the USA or Europe? Or were they some particular brand name pipe? Who made them? Any information someone can provide would greatly be appreciated.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Found this on another pipe site. Seems the pipe shop was in the Detroit area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I knew Richard LaFond, he did some pipe repairs for me. I first met him in the early 70's. His business was located in the Broadway Bldg. on Broadway north of Gratiot Ave. in the loop area. A few years later he moved his office to the Broderick Tower on Woodward and Witherell.(Woodward was the main street of downtown Detroit.) He had a very small office with only one showcase. The case was probably 3' long. I took some pipes in there for repairs and he did good work. In the showcase he had pipes which he made and they were unique. Most of them were out of my price range. Back in those days free hand pipes were just beginning to become popular. I would guess in the $50-70 range for average size pipes. One of the pipes he had in his shop was made from a whale tooth. It was slightly larger than most of the free-had pipes you see today. There was no price tag on it. He told me somebody would come in and want the pipe and they would pay him what he thought it was worth. Richard wore leg braces and walked with crutches. If he is still alive he would probably be in his 90's. He did pipe repairs, lighter repairs and some small sharpening jobs. I would classify him as a craftsman and perhaps perfectionist. He made the stems as well and the images you have were some of the more plain varieties. There was another LaFond in Detroit and he had a shop in the Cadillac Tower on Cadillac Square. He sold pipes, cigars, bulk and tinned tobaccos. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions send me a PM.
And some more.
http://genforum.genealogy.com/lafond/messages/366.html

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
You certainly did help. It sounds like he was not only making pipes, but was also importing some into the country with his name stamped on them....these imported ones were most likely for the cost concious consumer as the ones I have, had stingers in them.....I removed them of course prior to smoking.
Thank You!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.