Pipe Haul (and a Positive Experience with The Right Pipe)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Ordered a few ultra-cheap Lorenzo "basket" briars from therightpipe.com, around $20 each, just to try out different styles since I'm new to briars. Shapes were semi-random - you can pick the color and bent/semi-bent/straight, but the exact shape is luck of the draw. Sent them an email just after ordering requesting full-bent or Oom Paul shapes if they had them... if not, no biggie. Figured it was worth the ask even if it didn't pay off.

It did pay off, though. Got a call back from Beth there a short time later, telling me that there weren't any full-bents or Oom Pauls in the mix for the particular pipes I ordered, but they had two (also Lorenzos, but in the somewhat pricier Spitfire product line) they could sell me for the same price. She emailed me photos of the pipes, and I told her I'd take them.

Just got them today, and they look to be nice pipes for the $19 I paid for each one (the cherry red straight one was $21).

I was really impressed by the fact that the folks there went out of their way to provide excellent service despite the fact that I was buying bottom-of-the-barrel pipes. It wasn't a high dollar order at all, but they still went above and beyond.

Not affiliated with The Right Pipe in any way, just a satisfied customer.

P.S. - what would you call the shape of the black rusticated sitter? Never seen one like it before. 20230204_175339.jpg

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Ordered a few ultra-cheap Lorenzo "basket" briars from therightpipe.com, around $20 each, just to try out different styles since I'm new to briars. Shapes were semi-random - you can pick the color and bent/semi-bent/straight, but the exact shape is luck of the draw. Sent them an email just after ordering requesting full-bent or Oom Paul shapes if they had them... if not, no biggie. Figured it was worth the ask even if it didn't pay off.

It did pay off, though. Got a call back from Beth there a short time later, telling me that there weren't any full-bents or Oom Pauls in the mix for the particular pipes I ordered, but they had two (also Lorenzos, but in the somewhat pricier Spitfire product line) they could sell me for the same price. She emailed me photos of the pipes, and I told her I'd take them.

Just got them today, and they look to be nice pipes for the $19 I paid for each one (the cherry red straight one was $21).

I was really impressed by the fact that the folks there went out of their way to provide excellent service despite the fact that I was buying bottom-of-the-barrel pipes. It wasn't a high dollar order at all, but they still went above and beyond.

P.S. - what would you call the shape of the black rusticated sitter? Never seen one like it before. View attachment 199879
i am also a satisfied customer of SMS and TheRightPipe. Good folks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the pipe in the lower left is a bent poker sitter. My first pipe was a Tinder Box St. Ives bent pot sitter in a light walnut stain with an unusual vertical saddle stem, that reminds me a little of this, except for the shorter pot bowl. I still have it, and it is still a good smoking pipe and looks younger than its forty some years. I believe it is French made, possibly a Chacom, as suggested by a resident "historian" at Tinder Box.

That's a handsome array of pipes. It increases my confidence that the retailer was responsive and helpful with your order. That's always a good sign that the merchandise is of good quality. They want repeat business.

I have some up-market pipes that I treasure, but I am a proponent of the idea that with selective shopping you can find moderately priced pipes that smoke as well as any. I have quite a few.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I have some up-market pipes that I treasure, but I am a proponent of the idea that with selective shopping you can find moderately priced pipes that smoke as well as any. I have quite a few.
I love cheap pipes that smoke well, which is why I was attracted to cobs mostly. I like things that work well and that I don't feel like I have to baby. Rim char, scuffs, and dents? No problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my MM cobs and their hardwoods too. I outfitted several of mine with Forever acrylic stems, but the last few cobs I've bought are editions with stock acrylic stems, since I chew through the soft plastic ones. They do quite a few pipes with acrylic stems, and a few with Vulcanite stems. I notice that MM cobs tend to smoke up the whole chamber of tobacco without the flavor becoming sour or harsh. I don't mind a little dottle (unburnt tobacco) but often I don't get any with a cob.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I like my MM cobs and their hardwoods too. I outfitted several of mine with Forever acrylic stems, but the last few cobs I've bought are editions with stock acrylic stems, since I chew through the soft plastic ones. They do quite a few pipes with acrylic stems, and a few with Vulcanite stems. I notice that MM cobs tend to smoke up the whole chamber of tobacco without the flavor becoming sour or harsh. I don't mind a little dottle (unburnt tobacco) but often I don't get any with a cob.
The shitty plastic stems from MM are my favorite. I too chomp right through em but then I just buy more. I like the way they conform to my teeth after a day or two of clenching. I buy em by the half dozen.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Since I don't clench often, the standard stems work for me. However, I thought about getting a bent Zenon hardwood and putting a long forever stem on it to make a semi-churchwarden. I think it'd be a pretty sweet setup.

Reactions: kcghost

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
im glad MM started using Forever stems its a game changer. I bought the Emerald and I really like that pipe. I have better Briars but I still enjoy smoking it. The stem makes a big difference.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

P.S. - what would you call the shape of the black rusticated sitter? Never seen one like it before. View attachment 199879
I know it's being referred to as a Poker but my mind was thinking Dublin.
Though if it's a bent Dublin and it sits, it may be Poker territory... IDK