PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HoomanA

Lurker
Feb 7, 2022
Hello everyone,

I have recently bought my first pipe alongside a Dr Perl Junior Vauen 9 mm filter. I do not know if this is a good filter or not, I would appreciate if someone can shed some light on this matter.
Thanks,
Hooman

Reactions: tklee

HoomanA

Lurker
Feb 7, 2022
One way to find out is to try it. Make sure the blue cap is towards the mouthpiece and that it's secured in it so that it seals properly and doesn't rattle.
Thanks for the answer.

The on I bought from amazon does not have any blue cap, both sids are white!!!
Also, when I put it in the pipe it rattles and doesn't fit properly, any tips for that? my pipe is Butz choquin 1422.

Thanks

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I have several filtered pipes, although I rarely use the actual filters.

When I do, I prefer balsawood filters over the charcoal canisters... but either are good. I feel the balsawood filters provide for a smoother and less restricted draw.

Reactions: tklee

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Thanks for the answer.

The on I bought from amazon does not have any blue cap, both sids are white!!!
Also, when I put it in the pipe it rattles and doesn't fit properly, any tips for that? my pipe is Butz choquin 1422.

Thanks
Then it's not a genuine Dr Perl Jr. filter. I'd toss it and get the real deal:

This is how it's put in:

csm_vauen_filterbau_mit_161123_dbdafc4aa6.png

To secure it, hold the mouthpiece firmly and push the filter in making a gentle screwing motion. The filter must stay in place even if you point the tenon towards the floor. That way it won't rattle and be actually effective at filtering.

HoomanA

Lurker
Feb 7, 2022
Then it's not a genuine Dr Perl Jr. filter. I'd toss it and get the real deal:

This is how it's put in:

csm_vauen_filterbau_mit_161123_dbdafc4aa6.png

To secure it, hold the mouthpiece firmly and push the filter in making a gentle screwing motion. The filter must stay in place even if you point the tenon towards the floor. That way it won't rattle and be actually effective at filtering.
Thanks for all the explanation, much appreciate it!
Do you by any chance know where I can get one in Toronto Canada, beside Amazon which does not have the original one?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Thanks for all the explanation, much appreciate it!
Do you by any chance know where I can get one in Toronto Canada, beside Amazon which does not have the original one?
The Tobaccopipes.com image above is a link to them. I haven't seen any Dr Perl's filters in Canada. My local brick & mortar stocks BigBens, which I've used with no issues too. Personally, I buy White Elephant Meerschaum from Tobaccopipes.com. Neither of these last named have a blue cap (both ends are white), and their caps are less flexible than Dr Perls's' blue one, but they can be tightened in place without damage to the tenon.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Vauen makes the best 9mm filter around IMO. Great for moisture control, preventing gurgle, as well as absorbing tar, nicotine etc if that’s not your sort of thing.

I've read they were developed by the Germans after WW1 and the experience of charcoal filters being used with great result during the wear of gas masks.

My favorite paper filters for a 6mm are the Grabow.

Reactions: shane1

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've never used filters but there's been so much talk about them on here lately that I decided to experiment with them in a couple of my 9mm meers. To my surprise I notice very little difference with or without them...did not seem to inhibit the draw anywhere near as much as I expected. This was with Falcon filters.

Reactions: fireground_piper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I hate filters. I mean I loath them. I exaggerate about them in fact. Of the filters I've tried and been disapointed by I felt most impressed by that style of filter. It seemed to allow me to smoke while paying zero attention without burning my mouth parts. The dulling of flavor was actually pretty minimal too.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Vauen makes the best 9mm filter around IMO. Great for moisture control, preventing gurgle, as well as absorbing tar, nicotine etc if that’s not your sort of thing.

I've read they were developed by the Germans after WW1 and the experience of charcoal filters being used with great result during the wear of gas masks.

My favorite paper filters for a 6mm are the Grabow.
and have you ever breathed through a ww1 gasmask? To simulate the experience just put a charcol block at the end of a tube put the other end of the tube on your face. Then after you get used to that put a wet and I mean soaking sponge in front of the charcoal and also don't forget to put on really scratched up glasses too. That is a pretty good approximation of wearing one of those.

Reactions: OverMountain

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Another bob, can’t say I have. I’ve used an American gas mask on several occasions in the CS chamber, and I can tell you- the charcoal or whatever was in that cartridge worked like a charm. A few breaths without the mask and I looked like i had just drank a big gulp of rabies!

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
Vauen charcoal filters now use ceramic on both ends. I have not used them yet as I have hundreds of the oder style. Here is a link to their website.

40 filters per box, 9mm

retail unit: 400 activated charcoal filters, 10 boxes wrapped to a sales unit.
  • Improved reduction of harmful substances by means of highly active charcoal pellets
  • Two heat resistant ceramic caps with special pore structure
  • Perforated, highly absorbent filter paper
  • Can be used in either direction

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
The first thing I do when I acquire a pipe with an included filter is to toss the filter and never think about replacing it. For me, filters are useless add-ons that simply make for extra fuss.