Pipe Design and Briar Block Selection Specs.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
24 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
New Cigars
18 Fresh IMP Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Hello Forum Members....
Need your input, again.
Winter is a comin' I need something to do when the cold, dreary weather forces me indoors. So, I did it. I have designed a few pipes that I want to try making. Now, I need some briar blocks. With suggestions from this forum, I've found a number of suppliers in the USA who sell briar, and other pipe making supplies. However, this pipe-making virgin, needs to know a few things before I contact any briar retailers.
Questions:
Should I send the briar retailer a profile view/full-size pattern of the pipe(s)? I'm thinking that when the briar blocks are selected the seller can use my patterns as a guide, and check to see if there is enough material to cut the individual pipes.
I'm asking this question because most suppliers sell briar blocks that are pre-cut to standards sizes, and these blocks will only allow certain shaped pipes to be made. I find designing a pipe around the restrictions imposed by these standard-cut briar blocks to be a PITA. This leaves the pipe designer with few options. What do I do if I want to design/make a Magnum, or over-size pipe? What size blocks do I ask for?
Also, do any USA briar sellers offer specially selected, "premium", extra high quality, briar for sale? In case I want to chance making a smooth pipe with a great grain pattern? I'll need some good wood.
Thanks for any help. I thought it best to ask Forum Members first. I never bought any briar, so I don't know jack when it comes to briar specs. Note: I plan to rusticate my hand-made pipes....I like the way they look and feel...so, maybe super-premium briar is unnecessary. But I also don't want to spend time and $$$$$ working with a chunk of crappy briar that resembles a piece of Swiss cheese, either. I know the hidden risks that lurk inside these burls....I just need a few blocks of decent briar.
Frank

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Frank-- it may be a good idea to plan out the dimensions of the pipes you plan to make before you order briar. Since you're rusticating them anyway, I wouldn't bother with getting any Mimmo Grade 1 blocks. Grade 2 and 3 should suit you fine. Even if you did purchase a Grade 1 block, there's no guarantee that there won't be an inconvenient sand pit or crack. Externally you'll be fine, it's getting rusticated anyway right?
Vermont Freehand allows you to pick the size block in advance to ordering, and even has some tips on the ordering page for whatever project you plan on making.
http://vermontfreehand.com/product/italian-mimmo/
Best of luck to you, keep us posted with your progress!

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Dan,
Thanks for the tips. The thought of buying some relatively expensive, briar blocks, sight unseen, really gets me nervous. But, I have no choice. I got to do it if I want to make some pipes. It took me not a few hours to sketch out my pipe designs, to work out the bowl's proportions, stem angles, hole placements, etc. and I really would like to buy blocks that fit my designs, instead of designing to fit the available blocks. Once I lock in on a design, I'd rather not make compromises.
I'm going to contact Vermont Freehand and ask about my concerns. Maybe I'll get the happy ending that I'm hoping for. I'm also going to check out the we-site for those ordering tips that you mentioned. Grading designations also confuse me. As you note even premium grade-1 can have internal flaw, cracks, etc. I have to keep remembering that when working with natural materials, like briar blocks, anything can happen.
Thanks for the interest, and for pointing me in the right direction. BTW, I plan on making a "magnum" half-bent for my first briar pipe. Nothing ridiculously large, (like the Ashtons with coffee-mug sized bowls), but large enough to be called a "big-bowled" pipe. A living-room smoker for sure. Wish I could include diagrams, measurements, etc. and show you guys some of my very conventional, pipe designs. I'll have to enlist the aid of some young kid who's much more computer savvy than I, to get photos, etc. onto these forum pages. PCs and I, do not get along very well. My geezer brain just can't get the knack of PCs. smart-phones, etc.
I'm used to fabricating, and precision machining items out of steel, aluminum, and other metals, using a big lathe and milling machines...(just hobby work)... yet for me, making a briar pipe seems a bit daunting, at this point. But hey, I won't learn anything until I actually start cutting wood and making some dust. I'm probably over-thing the whole process, but, I'd really like to make at least a few decent pipes.
I'm guessing that MIMMO Grade-1 briar is the good stuff to use for making high-grade smooths?
Many thanks,

Frank

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
Mark Tinsky at amsmoke.com will try to accommodate your design parameters, and does sell premium blocks.

Be aware that there could be flaws in any block regardless of grade. They are simply the nature of the beast. There are no guarantees.

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/
We do have a few folks that participate with us that also make pipes, but it would be like asking people dining in a restaurant about how best to make a dish, when just behind the wall is a room full of cooks. You're way better off asking the forum that was made for these types of questions. Good luck on your mission.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm probably over-thing the whole process, but, I'd really like to make at least a few decent pipes.
Definitely overthinking it...i'd start with a pre-drilled block from Steve. Give him a call, describe the design you have and get on that's close. Starting with a predrilled block, the engineering will at least be somewhat right. You'll find that you usually have to adapt your design to the block, not the other way around. There are too many variables on grain, flaws, and shape to do it the other way. It's a little easier when you have a lot of blocks to choose from- when i make a pipe, i'll pull 4 or 5 blocks out of the 50 i keep on hand. If you have the chance to go to a pipe show like Chicago, you can pick through hundreds of blocks to find some that work...
But to start- get a predrill, screw it up, and repeat often...after about 50 or so, you'll look at the first few you did and realize just how bad they were...and after 100 or so when you're really proud of what you're making, show your pipes to Tom Eltang or someone like that and realize that you're really just getting started. The most important thing is to have fun- this is one of the few hobbies where you can kinda screw up and still have a pipe you can enjoy smoking...

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Just a quick update:
Contacted Steve Norse @ Vermont Freehand and he'll pick out some briar blocks to accommodate my specified dimensions. How could I ask for better service?
BTW, I wish some big pipe shows would once again be held in NYC or Newark....now that my interests in pipes, tobaccos, and pipe-crafting has been revived....thanks to this forum, and it's encouraging members.
Thanks for the guidance.
Frank

epsilon2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2015
On pipe making you can also combine materials..if the briar block is not big enough put a piece of oak,or olive,or whatever you like..

Important is the facing of different materials..

If you own a lathe everything is easier :)

Some tubing some glues and you can make what ever you like :)

Status
Not open for further replies.