Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 26, 2024
Canada
When I like a food, I stick with it. I also suffer from severe OCD and I have several (Irish) pipes from Peterson (all the same) with P-Lips which I clean the stem simply by pouring dish soap detergent from the tenon and into the stem without being able to run a pipe cleaner. I run a pipe cleaner dipped into 91% isopropyl alcohol through the stem from the button and into the tenon. I also bend a pipe cleaner and clean the mortise then I run another pipe cleaner dipped in 91% Isopropyl from the mortise into the smoke channel and into the draught hole.

Are there any pipe cleaners which fit the Peterson P-lips that I do not know?

BingBong

Lifer
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
When I like a food, I stick with it. I also suffer from severe OCD and I have several (Irish) pipes from Peterson (all the same) with P-Lips which I clean the stem simply by pouring dish soap detergent from the tenon and into the stem without being able to run a pipe cleaner. I run a pipe cleaner dipped into 91% isopropyl alcohol through the stem from the button and into the tenon. I also bend a pipe cleaner and clean the mortise then I run another pipe cleaner dipped in 91% Isopropyl from the mortise into the smoke channel and into the draught hole.

Are there any pipe cleaners which fit the Peterson P-lips that I do not know?
I have no P-lips but I find that my Petersons are not suited particularly to the ubiquitous tapered pipe cleaners, so I use Falcon straight ones. Not so easy to find on the other side of the pond though.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I just bend the tip of the cleaner slightly and wriggle it through the P-lip.

Of course most bent Petes will NOT pass a cleaner.

There are no cleaners that come with a pre-bent tip that I know of ☹️

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Some of my pipe cleaners are tapered, some are straight, different brands - nothing I've found about Petersons that requires any special technique or pipe cleaner. I remove the stem whenever I'm done and clean the pipe - if a taper is a problem with a particular stem, then either a straight or start the taper from the other end.

Not sure if you are serious about pouring dish soap into the stem but seems a waste and unproductive to use such a highly concentrated source. Then you come from the other end with alcohol? Seems overkill.

Sometimes pipe cleaners can be a tight fit into a P-lip but they go through the stem with the stem off.

Reactions: Bassman65

RPK

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
6 of my 7 Petersons are bent. I use the plain BJLong regular pipe cleaners without any problems. I insert the cleaner at the mouthpiece (some of mine are p-lip which are a bit harder to start) but if you put a slight bend in them similar to the shape of the stem and rotate it a bit as you insert it that also helps. And you may need to use the other end of the cleaner as the wire tip of the cleaner can catches.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
A system pipe, by design, shouldn’t pass a cleaner. The sump isn’t meant to be a direct line from chamber to hole in bit.
For p-lips, most can be cleaned with regular cleaners, some skinny older ones need a Falcon or other slim cleaner.

Dish soap and such only gets used on a restoration type cleaning in my stable, and then in moderation.
Many use isopropyl alcohol, but I use high proof clear spirits. I learned years back that the distinctive odor of isopropyl is a required additive to discourage folks from imbibing it. It may not leave a residual odor, but in my mind I’d prefer to use food grade equivalents where possible.
I have found water to be a more efficient solvent to tars than alcohol, but I like the drying effect of alcohol so I prefer it for routine maintenance.

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How long (under the fairly standard atmospheric conditions of a house with HVAC) do you let them rest/dry post rinse?
If I towel out the chamber and pipe cleaner in the airway, I can smoke right away.

Virtually no moisture gets into the briar this way. Far more is introduced through super heated water introduced over the length of the smoke.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
If I towel out the chamber and pipe cleaner in the airway, I can smoke right away.

Virtually no moisture gets into the briar this way. Far more is introduced through super heated water introduced over the length of the smoke.
Thanks. My eyes were partially opened after trying everything to get flake juice off my tobak chopper’s edge, then seeing warm water wipe it off.
I may make it to the dark side yet….maybe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr