PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyz5

Lurker
Feb 1, 2017
Does anyone know, or could you tell me where I could find out, the different sizes (diameters) of pipe chambers made?
If there are no standard diameters, would you know the sizes that the majority of chambers fall into?
Thanks for your help.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bluegrassbrian has it in the right ballpark. When you read the specs, there are a lot of variables within these sizes, and some XL pipes go up toward .9 inches. Some silly huge pipes go larger. I think the odd variations result from different hand finishing. As near as I can tell, they are not that standardized, though they may be drilled in some standard drill sizes. Some of the pipe carvers here probably know more details.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Diameters mostly range from 15-25mm with the overwhelming majority falling between 18-22mm. The golden mean is 19mm.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Folks, now I did come to conclusion that light weight pipes with narrow chambered bowls tend to smoke a bit hot and wet,and even more if the draft is narrow as the case with my two Chacoms,a pretty ennoying practice,but still these smaller ones may perform pretty well with ribbon cut or cub cube tobaccos,whereas in comparition the apple shaped bowl types I find they work much better for me,

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
.80 seems to be optimum for my two main smokers. I remember having a few really small narrow bowls, and they always burned tobacco pretty quick. I find certain blends do well in a larger chamber, while others need the subtle nuances that the narrow ones provide.

It is a crap shoot.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
All my pipes are between 18mm (very small) to 24mm (very big)

The vast majority are around 21mm-22mm because I like wide-ish bowls

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I dislike briars that are below 0.8", although corn cobs are fine.

I'd like to try 1.0" bowl someday, but I get the feeling 0.9" is optimal for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.