PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I'll give my tin of Hyde Park another go to see if it still tastes as hideous as 3 months ago ...

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I LOVE this blend. Granted, I'm a sucker for Lakeland-style blends so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
It had a sour (think sour cherry or apple) flavor which had this brilliant sweetness shine through every so often. It wasn't sugar sweet, think of sweet like tomatoes in a salad or caramelized onions. I rubbed mine out thoroughly and packed somewhat lightly. Something closer to a two-step method. It burnt so well and didn't nip me at all. By the last quarter of the bowls, I got a nice, relaxing nicotine "buzz". Not the nic-hit "buzz" with the heart racing and such, but more of a calming mellow "high" (for lack of a better term). Next order, I'm buying extras of this one.
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It doesn't actually have a cherry flavor, I was just trying to convey the type of sour I tasted while smoking Hyde Park. That said, a blend like the one you described, rcstan, is one that would pique my interest. I should point out that the tin-note is very Lakeland/floral smelling. This isn't conveyed too much in the smoke but it does add some dimension... Wow. The more I describe it, the more I want a bowl...
-Jason

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
So I had another two bowls of Hyde Park in two different pipes and the experience was the same. Harsh, sharp, acrid bitter smoke that tastes a tiny bit of burnt pine and cardboard otherwise. Maybe I just don't get it, but it was as far from a sour cherry and sweet as can be. I've banned the tin never to be opened ever again. Hyde Park is hands down in my list of top 3 worst pipe tobaccos I've ever tasted.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
This is definitely intriguing now, some say it's Lakeland heaven, some say it's merely Borkum Riff in a tin .... I have to order some next week and give you my thoughts on it ....

Status
Not open for further replies.