PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
8471683801_b3e506a268.jpg
[/url][/img]
After my last review of Peterson Irish Flake, Rothnh suggested I try UF as I might like that as well. In this week's TAD, I purchased a tin of UF along with a pound of SG FVF.

Initially, I was concerned UF would be similar to SG Firedance, a tobacco for which I have little use. Firedance is basically BBF topped with a berry-like topping. The berry topping, IMO, clashes with the BBF as it is over-powering and sickeningly sweet. I think it is a shame to waste perfectly good BBF in this fashion!

When I opened the tin of UF, I had an opened tin of Firedance for comparison; same basic berry/plum smell except the Firedance smelled a little sweeter. "Oh-oh", I thought, "Here we go again!" The UF had nice broad flakes, neatly packed. Along with that berry/plum scent I could smell a pleasant fig-like aroma, common to most good Virginia flakes (except McClelland flakes, which I also enjoy).

I took a glance at UF's tin description: "An easy smoking blend of Virginia's and Burley tobaccos, made in the traditional way."

Ah-ha, Burley's in this one! The Burley might make all the difference.

I took out my Canadian flake pipe (an old friend) in which I had just finished a salt and Everclear treatment to remove previous ghosts and loaded it with cube-cut/dried UF. The dry-time was about an hour. I lit the tobacco with 2 false lights.

I was greeted by a thick, full-bodied smoke similar to IF. I immediately tasted the nut-like Burley flavor melded with the Virginias with a slight plummy flavor. Unlike Firedance, the berries and plums were way in the background. The flavors did not clash but blended nicely. In fact, the fruit was more evident in the room note, which I found pleasant. When will I learn that tin aroma can have little to do with the taste of a tobacco?

As I reached the bowl's half way point, the enjoyment continued. This is a satisfying smoke. It's strength is medium to strong (my favorite range) with very little tongue bite.

The last third of the bowl was equally consistent and tasty...I love it when a tobacco performs like this!

I highly recommend University Flake. It isn't quite as strong as IF, IMO, but is slightly sweeter with a bit more flavor. I think I will go into the horde mode on this one! Thanks Roth!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great review flyguy. UF has remained my favorite for a very long time now. I concur with everything you said...nicely sums up my own experience with it.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
One of my go-to's. There are others I like better but UF has never disappointed. It is the closest thing to an aro that I smoke.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
It is the closest thing to an aro that I smoke.

Some would probably consider it an aromatic, but I wouldn't. I would classify it as a plummy VaBur! :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for the great review. I feel like I have a good idea of what this tobacco is like. I also feels like I ought to get a tin to try for myself. 8)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am on my first tin of UF and so far I have enjoyed it a lot. I find the topping to be in the background which is a good thing, unlike Erinmore which for me was over the top sweet. Once I am done with this tin it may be time to load up on it.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I just got the go ahead to start putting together a major TAD purchase and I believe this will be on the list.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
UF is a great full bodied flake IMO. I have to smoke it on a full stomach even being a lover of some staunch Burleys. This is the epitome of a fine pressed flake. Stock up now my friends as it will never be less expensive than today!! Especially with taxes and prices on the rise.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the review. I like IF but have never tried UF, but I will now!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I agree UF is a good one. And I also like Erinmore. Great review flyguy this one and the Irish flake review earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.