PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WQFTruckster

Lurker
Sep 30, 2021
Hello all,

Long time listener, first time caller. I've been in the hobby for a few years and am looking to pick up my first Peterson. I'm leaning towards a medium sized system pipe, probably a 314 or 303. I was somewhat surprised to find that all of the current system standard pipes and even the deluxe pipes now have acrylic stems. Is this a relatively new change? The only system pipes that I see listed with vulcanite are the spigots. My preference is vulcanite, and I assume that would be the more traditional option. As such I am considering some vintage estates. Can anyone enlighten me on the history of which models had what and when?

Thanks!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
There are plenty of system pipes available for purchase by retailers and at retail with Vulcanite stems. Just got an email this morning about sandblast system spigots with Vulcanite from SP EU.

I suggest going to the Peterson website and going through the info on the various system models and that may help somewhat, at least for what they currently show and have for reference.

Reactions: yanoJL
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Peterson has been making a larger shift to Acrylic on many of thier pipes . They still produce plenty with vulcanite though. I personally wont buy a new pipe with a vulcanite stem, so I'm all for it. But I understand why some still prefer rubber bits.

WQFTruckster

Lurker
Sep 30, 2021
Interesting. I was specifically looking at smooth standard systems with P-lips and only seeing acrylic on tobaccopipes and smokingpipes. My understanding is the 314 has been around for roughly a century. I assumed the switch to acrylic was a more recent cost saving measure, but perhaps it is more about current market demand. I'm not entirely opposed to acrylic, but of the pipes I have, I tend to prefer the feel of the vulcanite and don't mind the extra maintenance.

Reactions: yanoJL

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Interesting. I was specifically looking at smooth standard systems with P-lips and only seeing acrylic on tobaccopipes and smokingpipes. My understanding is the 314 has been around for roughly a century. I assumed the switch to acrylic was a more recent cost saving measure, but perhaps it is more about current market demand. I'm not entirely opposed to acrylic, but of the pipes I have, I tend to prefer the feel of the vulcanite and don't mind the extra maintenance.
Maybe it's the price point on the system spigots and them being "nicer" that has them offering the vulcanite vs. the other models? Otherwise, I'm sure the acrylic in the other systems it's become common in may be cost saving which also prompted by demand and impacts on profits. Could be folks just have come to like or gotten used to acrylic, but no idea there.

FWIW, the acrylic stem on the No. 68 SPD that came yesterday is very comfortable, surprisingly so, so there's also some variability with acrylic that I assume with Peterson is luck of the draw?

Asking questions because I don't know the answers, just spitballing and not afraid to admit it!

Reactions: WQFTruckster

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Here's an article from a few years ago that may be helpful!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Standard System has been acrylic for awhile. Not sure if it's price issue. It seems more and more people are preferring acrylic over vulcanite. Mainly for maintenance issue. I prefer vulcanite, but not a deal breaker.

WQFTruckster

Lurker
Sep 30, 2021
Here's an article from a few years ago that may be helpful!

Haha, I was actually just reading that. Interestingly it says that the "new" spigot system line (article from 2017) uses the "new acrylic P-lip" and goes on to tout its virtues. What's funny is all the spigot systems I see now have the vulcanite P-lips...

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Haha, I was actually just reading that. Interestingly it says that the "new" spigot system line (article from 2017) uses the "new acrylic P-lip" and goes on to tout its virtues. What's funny is all the spigot systems I see now have the vulcanite P-lips...
Same here!

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
If you're looking for a 314 or 303 System Standard, any you find stamped Republic of Ireland should still have a vulcanite stem.

Reactions: WQFTruckster

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I read about 15 years ago that acrylic was four times more expensive than vulcanite. I don't know if that's still true or what current prices are.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
While I prefer vulcanite stems I love the low maintenance of acrylic.
I no longer worry if I left my pipe in my truck exposed to sunlight or having to continuously apply Obsidian Pipe Oil to my stems to keep them black.
Costello uses acrylic exclusively with little complaint from smokers.
Peterson's acrylic p-lip requires a little adjustment to get used to but in the end my clenching habit remains unchanged.:sher: :sher:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depends what you want. For a thoroughly traditional Peterson systems pipe, go for Vulcanite. For all of the benefits plus ease of maintenance, acrylic is it. They have distinctly different mouth feel, so that also has to be figured into it. What's your pleasure?