PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Now that Peterson has a nice new and informative website I took the opportunity to create a simple chart shoving the chamber sizes of the models of the Peterson System Standard range. This to help myself get a better overview of how the models relate to one and other.

Being a lunter I included a column showing chamber volume per gram of pipe weight that you have to lugg around.

Thought that someone else might also find this interesting so I'm posting it here.

20200504_230651.png

A few premesis and shortcomings should be noted:
*The information comes from what's listed for System Standard Smooth P-lip on Peterson Pipes and Accessories - https://www.peterson.ie/
*Weight and measurements can vary from pipe to pipe even with the same modell and will vary over the diffrent ranges, smooth Vs rusticated, P-lip Vs fishtail etc.
*The numbers for modell 314 are sucpicussly low, most other sites list it at 20% larger.
*For simplicitys sake I have not taken the tapering at the bottom of the chambers into account.
*As I'm not aware of how many hogsheads one cubic centimetre is equivalent of this is metric only, sorry.

Reactions: lightmybriar

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
To clearyfie "Volume" above refers to chamber volume and "Weight" to total weight of pipe.

Also just realised that as Peterson is Irish it's technically not British and perhaps I should have posted in another sub-forum. My apologies and no offense ment to neither the Irish nor the British.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the correction. I know these specs will please many Peterson owners and fans, superseding the vagaries of the old Dunhill Group designations for example. I'm not talented in mathematics either, but maybe I value quantified information all the same.

Reactions: Gecko

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Thanks for creating the table; it's actually quite surprising how large the volume is on some of the pipes! (I'll confess I reached for the scientific calculator to cross check a couple of the calculations!). I'll save a (and print) copy for future reference.

...Peterson is Irish it's technically not British... My apologies and no offense meant to neither the Irish nor the British.
Non taken but what's this '...technically not British...'? It's not British and that's that!

Éirinn go Brách

Reactions: Gecko

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Thanks for creating the table; it's actually quite surprising how large the volume is on some of the pipes! (I'll confess I reached for the scientific calculator to cross check a couple of the calculations!). I'll save a (and print) copy for future reference.

Non taken but what's this '...technically not British...'? It's not British and that's that!

Éirinn go Brách

Yes you are correct (including but not limited to technically). Ireland is definitely not British. It was ment as a tongue in cheek joke, as I made a brain-fart when choosing sub-forum and as Irleand and Britain have a (as I understand it) tomultous and abusive common past. But the nuance might have been lost in my writing.

Glad you like the chart and that the math seems to check out now.
For me it was a bit of an eye opener, I wanted a large but not to heavy pipe and I was planing to acquire a 307 but now it will probably be a 301 instead.

Reactions: timelord
Status
Not open for further replies.