PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwp79

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
I picked up a pretty rough Peterson Shamrock today. It appears to be very old based on the shape and even the faux hallmarks on the band are worn. I'm having a tough time dating it. The "Shamrock" logo is painted on the shank. Every other Shamrock I found has the logo stamped into the briar. There is clearly a "255" on the other side of the stem. I have found no other 255 models. There is no country of manufacture stamp on the bowl or shank. The only Peterson's that don't have a COI is the Patent Era 1875 through 1910. I guess it could have worn off but I think that is unlikely because both the "Shamrock" and "255" are clearly marked. Also, the shamrock in the faux hallmark has an "X" inside, something I have not seen in many other Shamrocks. Here are some photos: Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3. If anybody has any ideas about the age of this pipe it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I had the same question, also have a shamrock just got on ebay did some digging. Look for the made in mark. Probably on the bottom, probably worn. Look at this site for help. http://thepetersonpipeproject.blogspot.com/2007/07/dating-peterons-pipes.html. The silver marks on these dont tell us the year only that it is a peterson, so you have to look at the made in mark, made in eire or made in ireland or whatever and how it is shaped, that is how I dated mine.

cwp79

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
Unfortunately my "made in" mark is either worn off or never existed. I beginning to think the date of this pipe may remain a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.