PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
Title edited.

I'm looking to see which time and model is the Peterson Pipe with the wood inlay around the P on the stem of the pipe?

Last edited by a moderator:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OP, what you are referring to is called a briar circle. I’m crap at identifying Pete shapes so I’m not even going to try, but I am curious to know whether that stem actually came with that pipe or not

I know of no one today (or in the past 50 years) who could pull that off from the ground up. And to retro-fit such a briar circle would be more difficult still.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I know of no one today (or in the past 50 years) who could pull that off from the ground up. And to retro-fit such a briar circle would be more difficult still.
Now I want to see you have a crack at one!

Sorry that my post was confusing, I’m not asking whether the stem is from Peterson or not, but whether it fit that stummel originally. At first glance the lines of the saddle and the ferrule looked off, but I now wonder if that is just to do with the photography…or more likely my brain.

Reactions: dublinpiper90

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Now I want to see you have a crack at one!

Sorry that my post was confusing, I’m not asking whether the stem is from Peterson or not, but whether it fit that stummel originally. At first glance the lines of the saddle and the ferrule looked off, but I now wonder if that is just to do with the photography…or more likely my brain.
Its the 4s shape,I remember seeing discussion about the briar insert stems somewhere,I wish I could remember where.
I agree I think its the photography that make the front to the saddle seem not in line with the ferrule ,but the back looks ok.

edit here we are dutch billiard – Peterson Pipe Notes - https://petersonpipenotes.org/tag/dutch-billiard/
3/4 of the way down the article,

In 1984, Lubinski.it had Paddy Larrigan & Co. at K&P make a few super high-grade Book-Case sets to honor Lama featuring a 4S and an XL339 Briar band. In 2010 one of these was available online in Italy. If I remember, it was $800. Too much for me at the time, but I did get these photos. The grain on these pipes is absolutely unreal.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Its the 4s shape,I remember seeing discussion about the briar insert stems somewhere,I wish I could remember where.
I agree I think its the photography that make the front to the saddle seem not in line with the ferrule ,but the back looks ok.

edit here we are dutch billiard – Peterson Pipe Notes - https://petersonpipenotes.org/tag/dutch-billiard/

In 1984, Lubinski.it had Paddy Larrigan & Co. at K&P make a few super high-grade Book-Case sets to honor Lama featuring a 4S and an XL339 Briar band. In 2010 one of these was available online in Italy. If I remember, it was $800. Too much for me at the time, but I did get these photos. The grain on these pipes is absolutely unreal.
I know @ashdigger has one.

Reactions: AroEnglish

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina

Thanks for the link @paulfg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123