PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It looks like Amber Carver Guy didn't like/trust/want too much vertical protrusion. Probably for strength reasons. Cut customer tongues being bad for business, and all.

The result being the rubber one has a weirdly alien sort of elegance, but the amber looks clunky.

The concept is definitely an ingeneous solution to a non-existant problem in any event (meaning the lack of lateral smoke-spead with a conventional stem).

My cynical side says Pete was onto the placebo effect from its earliest days. Human brains "insisting" (so to speak) that things they EXPECT to like are detectable, even when they aren't. Stingers are another example.

Probably never caught on because they cost too much more to both make and buy.

Damn I love these quality history threads. :)

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
It looks like Amber Carver Guy didn't like/trust/want too much vertical protrusion. Probably for strength reasons. Cut customer tongues being bad for business, and all.

The result being the rubber one has a weirdly alien sort of elegance, but the amber looks clunky.

The concept is definitely an ingeneous solution to a non-existant problem in any event (meaning the lack of lateral smoke-spead with a conventional stem).

My cynical side says Pete was onto the placebo effect from its earliest days. Human brains "insisting" (so to speak) that things they EXPECT to like are detectable, even when they aren't. Stingers are another example.

Probably never caught on because they cost too much more to both make and buy.

Damn I love these quality history threads. :)
Oh yeah, the NAP is pipe gimmick at its finest. The road to smoke town is littered with the corpses of bygone gimmicks and the NAP is no exception. I can see why they didn’t make many, it’s a real PIA to make by hand. You’d have to change three times as much as a P-Lip or orific bit just to recover your labor costs. It smokes pretty well but not so much that it warrants the extra cost. And cleaning it is more difficult. But it is a cool feature to have on a Peterson to a collector who can’t get their hands on an original if only for the envy factor.

I’d really like to get my hands on an original, especially a rubber one. It’s hard to recreate from pictures alone. @ashdigger was kind enough to loan me a modern NAP made by a pipe carver, but it really didn’t look anything like an original. It was more a reinterpretation of the NAP by that carver. My goal is to recreate the original in every aspect.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I was lucky enough to be among the group which Mark Irwin selected to be part of his NAP resurrection project. It might be just confirmation bias, but I do believe that it changes the smoking experience in a positive way. The main issues with them are cost to manufacture and the fact that you can't get even the thinnest Dill's pipe cleaner through the face of the button. That makes it more effort to keep clean, but I haven't found it to be much of a problem.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I was lucky enough to be among the group which Mark Irwin selected to be part of his NAP resurrection project. It might be just confirmation bias, but I do believe that it changes the smoking experience in a positive way. The main issues with them are cost to manufacture and the fact that you can't get even the thinnest Dill's pipe cleaner through the face of the button. That makes it more effort to keep clean, but I haven't found it to be much of a problem.
Yeah, I got my hands one of the resurrection NAP stems. That's what most of my working measurements were based on. The way I look at it, since its an army mount there really isn't much need to get a pipe cleaner through the face of the button since you can take the stem off mid smoke and just shake it out or run a cleaner through from the mortise end. When the NAP system was conceived and marketed, the use of pipe cleaners was not wide spread and it wasn't a major concern. I find it equally difficult to get a pipe cleaner through the button of many of my Pre-Republic P-Lips, and even more difficult to get one through many of my modern P-lips especially the acrylic Peterson P-lips. I definitely would not recommend a NAP on conventional parallel mortise pipe, unless of course it's an original NAP stamped pipe and you wanted to replace it.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
@georged to me the original rubber NAP stem looks to have made from an already formed orific button. Or at the very least shaped by someone who was very used to making orific buttons. It's much more compact, and has much more attractive lines than the amber version. My next attempt will be the rubber version.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
@georged to me the original rubber NAP stem looks to have made from an already formed orific button. Or at the very least shaped by someone who was very used to making orific buttons. It's much more compact, and has much more attractive lines than the amber version. My next attempt will be the rubber version.
Is the rubber one for yourself or will it be traveling to NV?