Peterson London-Made Cased Pair #2 (Lovat & Prince)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This companion pair came from the same original owner as the other one, and was also unsmoked & uncarried. It just sat in a trunk (or wherever) waiting for the day its destiny could be realized. :puffy:
Funny bit: I only noticed the crack in the Prince's shank on screen when cropping the close up photo. Barely visible in hand without magnification, so you'd have to be looking for it. No idea how long it was there.
Once again I knew a guy who knew a guy, though, so was back up and running in no time (as the saying goes). :D
I don't like covering nomenclature as a categorical thing, but otherwise I'm OK with the band. Bands suit the Prince shape well, I think.
Lovat -- 35.7 grams, 5.3" long
Prince -- 41.1 grams, 5.9" long
DSC00110.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

P1020649.jpg

P1020647.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

PC093776.jpg

P1020657.jpg

P1020674.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, it sure is!

It made me take another look at my GBD prince, which has a silver band, but one I am pretty sure was original as it's hallmarked, and the nomenclature isn't obscured; it also has GBD inside an oval . It says London, England with 362D underneath. Other side of shank is just the GBD inside an oval.
The dimensions are very close to George's repaired prince. I.e., length from bowl to band, over all stummel to bit length, size of bowl to the whole.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Though something more trivial would be difficult to imagine, I just noticed that I posted the brand side of the Prince's nomenclature twice.
Here's the correct Lovat:
DSC00099.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just sold very cheap my one year old and used Peterson Shannon 406 with similar crack on the shank, I managed to repair the crack with superglue.I've come to realisation that prince shaped pipes shanks are often very fragile(I've managed to distroy two shanks on princes) Nonetheless I love this very shape and Lovats are pretty amazing as well, especially these two pieces shown here. I wonder how time consuming and difficult Is doing this kind of banding.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
A band almost never looks out of place on a Pete. I dig it, but that lovat? Lovit!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I wonder how time consuming and difficult Is doing this kind of banding.
Time consuming? About 30 minutes start to finish if the band does not require chasing (re-sizing). Some do, some don't... it's luck of the draw because bands are made in stepped sizes. If it does need chasing, add another 30 minutes on average.
Difficult? Depends on the quality you're looking for in the final result. Conceptually, nothing could be simpler or easier. Getting a tobacco access device up and running again can be done with a hose clamp. In practice, getting a shrink-wrap-tight-everywhere band fit and a perfectly restored stem/shank fit on a high grade pipe---workmanship that's consistent with the rest of it---is fiendishly difficult for a number of technical reasons. To be able to reliably achieve it takes a lot of experience and specialized tools.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A supplier of pipe repair materials in Columbus, Ohio, called J. H. Lowe
His company's website is down at the moment, so here's his contact info:
Tim West Pipe Repairs

1588 Grayling Ct.

Columbus, Ohio 43235-5950

614-761-3465

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank You George, Btw ,that Lovat looks awesome as well,

Ps , waiting for a brand new 407 Peterson sterling silver prince to arrive within one of these days,not expecting it to be something special though and one obvious down side to it is that P Lip stem but other options were not available.

Status
Not open for further replies.