PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
I thought all flints were equal. Are some flints better than others?
Flints from different brands aren't equal for sure. For example, Zippo flints are noticeably softer than IM Corona's. They seem to produce more sparks and don't last as long
Even being soft, Zippo flints managed to dull my sparkwheel in 3 years. I haven't heard of similar problem with Old Boy lighters. From which I deduce that Tsubota (who produce Peterson lighters) use softer metal for their sparkwheels than Corona does.

I dont know, if Peterson sell any flints under their own brand and which brand they recommend to use with Peterson pipe lighters.
The flint compartment tube in my Peterson lighter looks pretty wide, wider than in a Corona, so probably the "thick" kind of Dunhill flints would fit it best. I haven't tried them though as Dunhill flints aren't sold where I live now.

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
Just a shout out to Peterson's CS.
I've bought a used lighter off eBay.
It did not work properly. After thorough cleaning and flint replacement (im corona) it still leaked fuel like crazy.
So I've sent it to Peterson for restoration and... they replaced the whole unit.
It took some time (nearly 3 months) but now I've got a new shiny lighter!

View attachment 209419
Great looking lighter.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Flints from different brands aren't equal for sure. For example, Zippo flints are noticeably softer than IM Corona's. They seem to produce more sparks and don't last as long
Even being soft, Zippo flints managed to dull my sparkwheel in 3 years. I haven't heard of similar problem with Old Boy lighters. From which I deduce that Tsubota (who produce Peterson lighters) use softer metal for their sparkwheels than Corona does.

I dont know, if Peterson sell any flints under their own brand and which brand they recommend to use with Peterson pipe lighters.
The flint compartment tube in my Peterson lighter looks pretty wide, wider than in a Corona, so probably the "thick" kind of Dunhill flints would fit it best. I haven't tried them though as Dunhill flints aren't sold where I live now.
I sent a message to Peterson. They recommended using Kiribi flints. Unfortunately, you can’t seem to get these in Canada. I wonder if Xikar flints would be similar?

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Digging up an old thread. I'm about to buy my own Peterson lighter!

I plan to use 11x refined butane which I know will be great! My question is about the flints. I'm in Alberta and the only flints easily accessible are Zippo flints. Will these work? The consensus seems to be mixed.

If not, what are the best flints to use and where can I find them?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Digging up an old thread. I'm about to buy my own peterson lighter!

I plan to use 11x refined butane which I know will be great! My question is about the flints. I'm on Alberta and the only flints easily accessible are zippo flints. Will these work? The consensus seems to be mixed.

If not, what are the best flints to use and where can I find them?

Thanks everyone.
I just added a bunch of the recommended Kiribi flints to my last U. S. Tobacco order. Can’t seem to find them available in Canada.