Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

steelarts

Might Stick Around
I currently have a Peterson Emerald 221 which I love. It’s the perfect design, weight and balance for me and I love how it smokes. The only problem is sometimes it’s a bit on the small side. It’s great if I only have half a hour to spare but on the days I have more time I just wish it was slightly bigger.

Is the Emerald 69 the 221’s bigger brother? Is it basically the same pipe but just a bit larger and does the extra weight affect clenching? Or is there anything similar I should be taking a look at? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: tobakenist

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Is the Emerald 69 the 221’s bigger brother?
The 69 does have a bigger bowl than the 221, but aesthetically it’s a little less bulky (which might be good for you if you’re concerned about weight).

I would say the X220 is more like a bigger brother to the 221, since the X220 is the non-System pipe version of the 11s, while the 221 is the non-System version of the 20s. The 69 does not have an equivalent System pipe version. The X220 probably has a more similar aesthetic to the 221 than a 69 would, but it very likely would weigh more than the 69.

I do not have an X220, but I have many 11s pipes and it clenches just fine for me. I also have many 20s pipes, a couple 69 pipes, and one 221. I find them all clenchable, but the 69 will likely be closer in weight (but heavier) to your 221 than the X220 would be. Though, keep in mind, all pipes even within the same model line can vary a lot in weight, so it’s more about a lighter weight range that you’re likely to get.

Last edited:

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Smoking Pipes gives dimensions of all its pipes.
Those dimensions are helpful in getting an idea of what the pipe model will be like, but they do not weigh individual pipes anymore. I’ve found the same pipe model can vary a lot in weight from individual pipe to pipe (as much as 15+ grams, which affects clenching quite a bit). I’ve found this out myself from many orders, and their customer service has admitted it to me as well. On special release pipes, I’ve even seen the dimensions to be totally off.

Reactions: steelarts

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I have an X220. As a matter of fact I am smoking it now. It is one of my favorite pipes. It smokes beautifully. You will have no problems clenching the X220.

Reactions: steelarts