PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I thought it harsh when I first tried it. — harsh on retro and on the throat. It mellows with age or familiarity. Certainly not harsh today. I now find it a pleasant smoke with a consistent flavor and perfect nicotine content. Let me know after a bowl or two if you have the same experience.
So I laid out a bowls worth a few days ago, and then didn't want to smoke it. So it was forgotten about. Untill today for some reason I got a hankering for a good burley. Crispy dry just like I like. So much better today. Great combination with my coffee. I should know better than to smoke anything that's moist and fresh. Looks like I'll be ordering more pounds of this and leaving a jar open to dry out.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
So I laid out a bowls worth a few days ago, and then didn't want to smoke it. So it was forgotten about. Untill today for some reason I got a hankering for a good burley. Crispy dry just like I like. So much better today. Great combination with my coffee. I should know better than to smoke anything that's moist and fresh. Looks like I'll be ordering more pounds of this and leaving a jar open to dry out.
Honestly, I’ve never experienced tongue bite with Granger but today I have a tender spot where the stem met the tongue which has to be the Pegasus. — Odd because it’s far dryer than Granger. I hope that’s not a regular event because my pound of Pegasus arrives on Friday!

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Talk about a timely sale.

just ordered a pound of Pegasus.

It’s 15% off at Tobaccopipes until Friday the 17th.

Does this mean I’m starting a rotation? Maybe. Maybe not.

But aging a pound of Pegasus sounds like a great idea to me. I do enjoy it.
I ordered a pound the other night. I smoked through a couple ounces pretty quickly about a year ago, and when SP did a bulk sale, I bought 8 oz and completely forgot about it. I had it jarred up for the better part of a year and just popped it this past weekend and it definitely rounded off some of the sharp corners. Although, that could just me being a better pipe smoker than I was a year ago. I find myself gravitating towards Burley more and more these days, so Pegasus may become an important part of my "rotation." Tastes good, has some nicotine, and I got a pound for 30 something bucks. ?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Pegasus deserves a follow up. I’ve always said how important it is to spend time with a blend to really understand it and I’ve been reaching for Pegasus regularly. I’ve gone through half a pound and I’ve ordered 6 more that I’ve jarred. I guess I like it…

I just finished a bowl and I finally got a full dose of that sour note that many reviewers have cited as making Pegasus extra special. I will be seeking out that flavor in future bowls.

If smoked too eagerly, the bowl can have an undesirable ammonia quality, which I’m careful not to produce. Today, it developed an interesting sour quality, weaving in and out with bittersweet walnut and revealed yet another desirable layer.

Other reviewers have described everything from popcorn to a ginger snap sweetness. Yes. I can see that too. It’s a complex creation. The interplay of the various leaf is a tribute to its creator. Thanks, Bob.

Pegasus is a blend I hope to enjoy for many years to come.

This forum is a valuable resource. No matter what genre of leaf you prefer, there are members here who share similar tastes to guide your own. — @ray47 ‘s suggestion, I ordered some Old Joe Kranz Blue Label. Ray places OJK Blue in the same ballpark as Pegasus. I’m pretty certain I’m going to enjoy that too.

I’ve also ordered C&D Burley Flake #2, Briar Fox and on a whim, Missouri Pride by Russ Oulette. I’m a burley nut. What a great forum and hobby. Eager to sample those as well. Thanks Guys! ??

on edit. @dante as well as @ray47 both suggested OJK Blue.

Last edited:

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
I'm not big into burley but I gave Pegasus a shot based on everyone's high opinion of it. It's certainly better to my tastes than any of the OTC burleys. There was zero tongue bite and some nice nutty, bready notes. It's too soon to render a verdict but so far I'm left wanting more.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Can’t wait to sample Burley Flake #2. I’m sure it’ll be good. — No. never heard of Kelly’s Coin. I’ll research that tonight.
I was just looking at a tin of Kelly's coin the other day. Decided to take it out of my cart due to strength ratings.

Pegasus is a wonderful blend, and to me, is fairly strong in the nicotine. Two bowls in a row is enough for me.

One thing I've noticed is that the taste of Pegasus tends to stay with me for a couple days. Wierd. Like ghosting of the mouth. Lol

Pegasus deserves a follow up. I’ve always said how important it is to spend time with a blend to really understand it and I’ve been reaching for Pegasus regularly. I’ve gone through half a pound and I’ve ordered 6 more that I’ve jarred. I guess I like it…

I just finished a bowl and I finally got a full dose of that sour note that many reviewers have cited as making Pegasus extra special. I will be seeking out that flavor in future bowls.

If smoked too eagerly, the bowl can have an undesirable ammonia quality, which I’m careful not to produce. Today, it developed an interesting sour quality, weaving in and out with bittersweet walnut and revealed yet another desirable layer.

Other reviewers have described everything from popcorn to a ginger snap sweetness. Yes. I can see that too. It’s a complex creation. The interplay of the various leaf is a tribute to its creator. Thanks, Bob.

Pegasus is a blend I hope to enjoy for many years to come.

This forum is a valuable resource. No matter what genre of leaf you prefer, there are members here who share similar tastes to guide your own. — @ray47 ‘s suggestion, I ordered some Old Joe Kranz Blue Label. Ray places OJK Blue in the same ballpark as Pegasus. I’m pretty certain I’m going to enjoy that too.

I’ve also ordered C&D Burley Flake #2, Briar Fox and on a whim, Missouri Pride by Russ Oulette. I’m a burley nut. What a great forum and hobby. Eager to sample those as well. Thanks Guys! ??

on edit. @dante as well as @ray47 both suggested OJK Blue.
Good to see you branching out! :)

If you keep this up, you're going to have to change your handle. puffy

I was just looking at a tin of Kelly's coin the other day. Decided to take it out of my cart due to strength ratings.

Pegasus is a wonderful blend, and to me, is fairly strong in the nicotine. Two bowls in a row is enough for me.

One thing I've noticed is that the taste of Pegasus tends to stay with me for a couple days. Wierd. Like ghosting of the mouth. Lol
Like a cigar does. I agree.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I've been itching for this to come back into stock ( bulk form ), from the only supplier that I can buy from that will have a good chance of getting to me if you know what I mean..

Anyways, I've been enjoying the only burley forward blends I have at the moment ;
John Pattons Storm Front which has a decent amount of cigar leaf.
Amphora Burley blend, which has a mild cigar like flavour to me.
And of course University Flake, which I've seen you also enjoy periodically @Grangerous .

How would you guys compare Pegasus to the above, I fairly confident of loving it, as long as it makes it too me that is.

I hope I like it, I've ordered a bloody pound of it!

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I've been itching for this to come back into stock ( bulk form ), from the only supplier that I can buy from that will have a good chance of getting to me if you know what I mean..

Anyways, I've been enjoying the only burley forward blends I have at the moment ;
John Pattons Storm Front which has a decent amount of cigar leaf.
Amphora Burley blend, which has a mild cigar like flavour to me.
And of course University Flake, which I've seen you also enjoy periodically @Grangerous .

How would you guys compare Pegasus to the above, I fairly confident of loving it, as long as it makes it too me that is.

I hope I like it, I've ordered a bloody pound of it!
“How would you guys compare Pegasus to the above, I fairly confident of loving it, as long as it makes it too me that is.” - Brendan

I can only say that Pegasus is unique. Complex. Whereas University Flake is Berry mild and monotone; the berry light topping distinguishes it from other VaBurs, otherwise it’s no different than many other quality VaBur offerings beneath the added perceptible top flavor.

Pegasus has depth, mouth feel, a creamy richness and many underlying flavors. You’ll have to discern those for yourself but for me it’s a tannin-like walnutty taste with interplay of both sweetness and sourness that comes later in the bowl. It’s interesting. A tasty one too. I love the side note.

I’m fussy with tobacco. There’s a certain, I don’t know how to say it….. old tyme pipeyness to Granger, Prince Albert and Pegasus. I don’t particularly like half n half today, but I loved its smell when a coworker smoked only that. Nutty Burley is my thing.