PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
My wife and I are both lucky enough to have tomorrow off for Columbus Day. We decided to go visit my parents in Michigan for the long weekend, and it has been a great. We had a bon fire, we drank jack and cider from mason jars, and I enjoyed some McClelland pebblecut and frog morton.
Tomorrow, on our way back to Chicago, I am stopping by Paul's Pipe Shop in downtown Flint. I have learned it has a bit of fame and history about the place, and I was told to check out the cayuga pipe. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone was familiar with the place and had any suggestions or comments.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

fulton

Lurker
Mar 6, 2011
Saginaw,Michigan
I live 20 minutes away from Paul's Pipe Shop. It's my go-to place. Flint has had a rich history, and Paul's Pipe Shop is one of the few original things left there. There is a great selection of tinned blends and, if you're a fan of black cavendish, my favorite house blend is Black Wall. As to the cayuga pipes, I have 1 and cannot wait to grab another. They are priced right and it is my choice of fishing pipe. They oil-cure the pipes right there in house, and also apply a very unique carbonization to the bowls. They are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. Make sure you bring a pipe or three to try some blends. Also, be sure not to miss the "Umbrella Pipe" (You'll thank me later). I'm stuck at work all day tomorrow or I would meet you there for a bowl. Have a great time!

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
For many years I lived an hour away from Paul's and didn't know of it.I learned about it after I moved to Carolina and got online.I can't speak first hand.Those who write online of going there though say it's an experience long remendered.Let us know how it goes.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
ive been there. i like it. the cayuga pipe is good. ive got on in an oom paul. they have a lot of pie. they have cigars and other stuff too.not all their pipes are in the open though. some are in behind the counter so be sure to ask to see those.the only problem i had was that there wasnt a huge tobacco selection except for their own blends, which isnt really much of a problem.also if you get a cayuga pipe, you get a cayuga card, which entitles you to an ounce of free tobacco each month and 20% off the purchase of any pipe during the month of your birthday. and if you buy 12 cayuga pipes you get one free.also if you buy a cayuga pipe they give you an ounce of tobacco free! ive only gotten two blends from them. the first being sweet cherry cavendish, which was delicious, and the second being arrowhead pipe club mixture which i highly recommend. i loved the arrowhead pipe club mixture and cant wait for my next trip to flint to get more.and fultons right they are some really nice people. when i went paul was there(which isnt surprising since hes 98) but his son was and he was a nice guy.helped my find the right pipe.i live like 45-50 minutes away so it isnt really convenient, but ill probably go back sometime this month since i havent gotten my free tobacco for this month yet

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Cayuga is Paul's store brand. They do 'em right there in the shop.
I'm about an hour from Paul's - never get there as much as I might like. It's quite the place. Ask if you can get upstairs to see the pipe museum. :puffy:

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for the info everyone! I learned that my Dad used to go to Paul's all the time back when he smoked a pipe, and I was a small child. It was a place lost in time, medicos, kaywoodies, yello boles, and other classic pipes were lined up under aged signs. It was an interesting visit. I didnt pick up any pipes, but I have a couple in mind for when I go back and visit during the holidays, a couple of cayugas. I did get a TAD fix by grabbing some Mac Baren blends. I will be sure to check out the museum over thanksgiving.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
heres a cayuga pipe i own. like jud said its a brand not a shape.

210839_267137553307580_100000340116388_979672_1875624315_o.jpg

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Judging from the paucity of remarks on this site, Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint, Michigan, is one of the great semi-undiscovered treasures of pipedom. Paul is 99 years old and still smokes his pipe daily, though his son, Dan, has taken over the running of the business. Cayuga is his own brand of pipe, oil cured Sardinian Briar, with his own secret break-in formula, a smooth, perfect smoker right from the get go. The web site is clunky and needs serious work, see here, and trust me when I tell you, the web site isn't even the tip of the iceberg. Paul estimates that he has a million pipes on hand (I can't vouch for the number,) but he knows the location of each and every one of them. If you phone the shop, they're very helpful, and will talk you through anything you want to know. No pressure.

A few weeks ago I bought a Cayuga--if you go to his site, enter the online store, click on Cayuga pipes, the third one down is the one I got. The smoke is as close to perfect as I've ever experienced! I also bought an Israeli Alpha (new-old stock--try and find one of those!) Haven't smoked the Alpha yet, but I highly recommend the Cayuga--it will turn out to be one of the best smokes you ever got. I picked up some of his tobaccos--Arrowhead is his signature blend, and it's a trip!

He has a pipe club, and if you join it, you get discounts on pipes, other merchandise, buy enough Cayugas and he'll send you one free.

Anyway, this place is one of the old style pipe and tobacco shops of the kind we used to know and love, and that's because it is an old style shop--Pauls' been running it for over 80 years.

For what it's worth, I give this place top marks for quality, price, variety, and service. (note--I didn't grade their web site. :) )

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
And if you get a chance, try some of his Darwin Asa blend. I gave it a go after the recomendation of Ben (Uberam3rica). Its a tasty little English blend that I now pick up or order on a regular basis.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Paul's is a nice hidden gem. I've known Paul and the guys for years and they have always given me and my pipe club the red carpet treatment. I'm not a big fan of aromatics, but they boast a nice selection of tins and the prices are good. They have a great selection of pipes as well but guard your wallet! Be sure to ask to see the pipe museum upstairs. If you make the trip, you won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.