PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttakata73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
Last month I got in on P&C's buy 3 get 1 free Dunhill tins deal. I bought 6 and was supposed to get 2 free. I was really looking forward to my first tins of tobacco from this brand. My intent is not only to smoke them in a search for a flavor I love, but might make a wall collage of the empty tins since these might go extinct someday. To my dismay the one missing Dark Flake was more expensive than others and the most expensive Deluxe Navy Rolls had a dent on the bottom.
So I checked my order on the P&C website and it showed 8 tins were packed and shipped, but the actual box had a packing slip and a pencil mark of zero next to the missing Dark Flake. This is only my 2nd order with P&C so wasn't sure if I was SOL. I waited on the customer service hotline for 20+minutes which wasn't promising. Finally, I got a nice lady on the line and explained the issue expecting an unwanted credit or at best a backorder refill of the missing tin if they even get any more. To my delight the missing Dark Flake will be shipped out and they are going to send a replacement Navy Rolls for the dented tin. Normally I wouldn't care about a dented tin, but since Dunhill plans to quit the pipe biz I want a nice tin for my future art collage. It's rare for me to see above and beyond customer service so I had to take the time to give props to P&C. Another nice surprise is these tins don't have the obnoxious "smoking kills" warning on the front which would ruin a collage. I will have to go and order all the other flavors soon.

I gave feedback on some P&C process flaws that hopefully affect changes. I should have received an email notifying me of a missing item if the packer knows this. Their website should have an alternate tobacco choice field to fulfill last minute out of stock items. Their online customer service form should allow you to upload an image like ebay's messaging service. Finally their packing slips should have a packer's name for accountability.
These are my first tins of baccy. Is a dent like that shown fairly easy to accomplish?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Their website should have an alternate tobacco choice field to fulfill last minute out of stock items.
The dreaded "LIST ALTERNATES" of early online CD ordering...

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I've always had good service with them. Some orders arrive early ,some a day or so late. I'll continue using them !

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've bought a lot of tobacco from them. It's always at a great price. They have great service when anything goes wrong, but it blows my mind just how bad their shipping dept is!! Everybody complains about it because it's so off the charts bad. How can they not be firing people in that dept?!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
How can they not be firing people in that dept?!
Probably requires a manager to check every order for a day and see where the glitches are. Also: finding people for order fulfillment is rough. It's a boring job and most are stoners.

ttakata73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
Crap; I also noticed I got 2x of the BB1938. One of them should have been Standard Mixture. So I called again and although they would send the missing Std Mix it is backordered. I opted for Ready Rubbed as a replacement. So P&C has some slackers in their shipping dept but their CS dept corrects their problems. I wasted about an hour on the phone with these issues but am happy with the outcome. I inquired about Dunhill's pipe tobacco going extinct and was told it is some of the cigarette brands that will be shut down and not pipe tobaccos. I can't find any official Dunhill tobacco website to confirm so am confused.
I also see there are 2 different tin bottoms; a flat (right) and stronger ribbed perimeter (left). Might explain the dent on the flat Navy Rolls.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Appreciated the apology video from the head PC person. New computer programs have been slow to work for them. Technology is not always our friend, but I hope it all gets ironed out, better every day.

ttakata73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
My first order was perfect but it's discouraging to hear about their shipping dept. I really like how the P&C website works, their variety of goods, and prices. I hope their losses in reshipping corrections doesn't bankrupt them. I mean in this order alone they are sending me 2 tins more than I originally ordered. How much do they lose on a botched expensive pipe order? So I really hope the shipping packer's name on the slip idea happens. If you can quantify who is making the most mistakes packing orders then they should reduce losses.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I can certainly understand many people's frustration, but I hope in time they get things ironed out and earn the confidence of some of the customers they lost.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Props to P&C for taking care of you. The management there really screwed the pooch when they upgraded their tracking software by using vaporware. Hopefully they will get it all squared away sometime this year.
As for the information you were given by the nice person at P&C, she had it backwards. Dunhill pipe tobaccos are going the way of the dodo but Dunhill branded cigarettes will continue to be made. This has been confirmed by the US distributor of Dunhill branded tobaccos. Dunhill hasn't blended tobaccos in decades. It's a trademark licensed to manufacturers. And while the current tobacco blends resemble the originals about as much as Bela Lugosi resembles Katy Perry, it doesn't matter, given that you like what is in the tin and you will all too soon be deprived of it.

ttakata73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
Kudos sir. " as much as Bela Lugosi resembles Katy Perry" You might take the prize for funniest thing I've read on this forum.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's where I order A LOT of my pipes and tobacco, and they have always been great to me. Sure, they have screwed up a couple orders of mine, but it's always been taken care of, fast, and on their dime. "Judge a man not by his mistakes, but by how well he fixes them"

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
dunbird-600x580.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.