PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I soaked 2 stems for 8 hours & could not believe the crap that comes out a stem, would make the faint of heart puke. You can watch the stems bubbling and dark scummy foam form.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Yep, it always amazes me when I see it. Sometimes within the first few minutes you'll see the water start to change colour.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Does the oxyclean leave the stems rough like after a bleach soaking?
Also, has anyone tried Barkeepers Friend on stems? Saw a tip on youtube and am trying it now.
Bar_Keepers-Coupon.jpeg

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
madmurdoc, did it come out of the bath rough like a bleach soak or retain it's smoothness?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Wildcat

It will come out a little rough. Less than with a bleach soak, but it won't be perfect. You'll have to clean it, scrub it, buff it after it comes out of the oxy clean. It also depends on how old the stem is. Really old stems will come out a little pitted.
Here's a good example of how one looked after Oxyclean soak, rinse and dry.

GrabowBefore.jpg

Here's how it looks after buffing

GrabowAfter.jpg

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
At what point should one Oxy their stem? Are we talking months or years? (I realize it depends on how much its being used) but what is the rule of thumb?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Zonomo: I only do the Oxyclean once: when I get the estate pipe in. Once its cleaned and refurbished, I never do it again to my pipes.
I do clean the inside of the stem with some everclear and a scrub pipe cleaner or brush on occasion. I'd say about every 3 months or so for the pipes I smoke regularly (eg more than once a week). But I have a large rotation. If you smoke your pipe daily, you may want to give it a good thorough cleaning with a scrub and some everclear once a month or so. There's some good articles out there about pipe cleaning and maintenance.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Thx Mick! I gave up on the bleach routine... didn't like how rough some stems came out. Right now I'm using Barkeepers Friend and lots of elbow grease. I'm very happy with the results. I will give the OXY a try, if I don't like it, there's no waste. Into the laundry it goes!

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Picked some OxiClean up this afternoon... soaking a few stems now!

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I picked up some oxi not too long ago, well when I went to put it with my other cleaning supplies, not only did I find Oxi already there, but I also have some Bar Keepers Friend. FML. I won't run out anytime soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.