PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chris T

Lurker
Aug 3, 2023
Hi folks,
I'm perplexed. I picked up a NOS, late model LHS second ("London Royal") a couple of weeks ago. I only have a couple of pipes with screw tenons, when I bought my first pipe in the 80s those were pretty much going away. I thought this pipe (straight apple/pot) was flawed, with a slightly overclocked stem (about the 1 o'clock position.) I found that about 10-15 minutes into a smoke, the stem lines up. Now, it seems like I remember reading somewhere that some pipes do that, but I can't find any reference to it, and I'm not sure I'm not hallucinating the memory. I'm happy with it doing that, just wondering if it's supposed to. Is it common with screw tenon?
Edid: Apologies, looks like I posted this in the wrong place. Consider it my introduction, it's pretty typical of my behavior.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Never heard of that one. But I am not up on LHS lore. I’m interested in the details of how that would work.
Did it go back to misalignment after cooling down?

Reactions: dottlejockey

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Welcome! You can definitely fix an over locked stem but j just don't know it's actually done. If you check out the Repair section there might be a thread on it already.

Chris T

Lurker
Aug 3, 2023
Welcome! You can definitely fix an over locked stem but j just don't know it's actually done. If you check out the Repair section there might be a thread on it already.
Thanks, I did look through those here and elsewhere, but got impatient to try it out, and then noticed it self-correcting. Still seems like I read about that somewhere.

Reactions: AroEnglish

/Adam\

Lurker
Jul 17, 2024
Pennsylvania
I’m wondering if maybe when you thought it was fixed it was because the pipe was hot from smoking and the stem just wouldn’t screw on all the way. Being hot would make the bowl side expand. After cooling the stem would then screw on all the way back to the overclocked position. Is it possible that maybe when it looked like it was fixed that there was a little gap between the stem and pipe that you didn’t notice? Guess you could check my theory the next time you smoke out of it.

Edit: after searching for info on fixing overclocked stems I realized my comment above is probably not even close. My noob brain was thinking about a cheap screw on stem without a tennon.

Last edited:

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Beginning in the early 1960s, LHS offered a “trendy” new gizmo on the stems of some of their pipes called the TTM (tenon temperature monitor). Its use was to help the pipe smoker know when the bowl had reached optimum stoking temperature for the greatest tobacco flavor. It was akin to the pressure monitor valve on a pressure cooker or those temperature monitors under the skin of a Butterball turkey. When cool, the stem would be cantilevered to the 1:00 position, but as you ignite the tobacco and the bowl warms to precisely 98.7 degrees, the stem adjusts to the 12:00 position. Maintaining a cadence where the bowl stays at 98.7 degrees keeps it in position. If you over puff like a locomotive train, the temperature of the bowl elevates and the stem back tracks to the 11:00 position to notify the smoker he is puffing too damn much.

It was not a popular option, because a lot of fellows could never get their cadence correct, and always had crooked pipes jutting out of their mouths, causing them to feel insecure and less glamorous. 😉