PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
I just purchased a nice pipe on E bay :worship: knowing that the screw in stem was Over Clocked with the shank. Seller advised to use dental floss and that does work but I was wondering if anyone knows how to repair an Over Clocked Pipe?
Thanks,

Forrest

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have an old Kaywoodie with a permanent three hole stinger that had this problem.

In a desperate reckless mood I slid a miniature screwdriver through the stinger holes

and torqued the stinger into correct alignment. To my amazement, the stinger rotated

compliantly without loosening-up.

DSCN0340.jpg

If the wood in the shank is threaded, and probably stripped, you might consider reaming out the shank to eliminate the old threading. Then you can krazy-glue a short piece of hardwood dowel rod into the shank; drill it to size; and re-thread it with a tap. This is best done by a pro. You can also have the pipe converted to a push-on stem or military mount for about $25.00

Although I probably sound like I know what I'm talking about, I've never done anything like what I described. :wink: ...so there may be better solutions.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What brand is it? There are several methods to fixing this problem,some specific to the brand of pipe.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Tim West once showed me how to fix it with a meer I had. he simply heated the stem until the glue softened and twisted in then mortice to stem intil it was right.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
I've used "chuckw"'s suggestion on several of my second life pipes and really seemed to work the best.

ranger47

Lurker
Jan 28, 2011
If I really cared about the pipe I would send it to a reputable repair shop. But there is useful post on pipes.org about fixing overturned stems.
Go to forums.pipes.org

Select "search"

Type "overturned stem" into the keywords box

select the "and" search feature
The entry I'm thinking is a repost (by James Beard) of some older comments on alt.smokers.pipes. Worth reading if nothing else.

dubinthedam

Lurker
May 18, 2009
Amsterdam
The female screw fitting in the shank can come loose during wear, age and alcohol cleaning, it unscrews anti clockwise, you could use waxed thread or plummers tape to fix it, if it is a gem of a pipe I'd sent it to a pro.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
ChuckW is right about this fix for the metal screw type connectors that

make use of synthetic bits. I would not recommend it for Meerschaums

with bone screw connectors or derlin push/pull joints. For clarification,

I believe that he's referred to heating the bit, with the screw tenon in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.