OTC Burley Blends with Perique, Picayune Esque?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
Daughters and Ryan Picayune, my all time favorite blend, my Flavorite, was discontinued. This is a special blend to me, it hits like nothing else and has a powerful flavor that leaves you satisfied. I have a few jars left that I have decided not to touch for a some years.. hindsight is 20/20, I should have bought way more, I knew it was about to be gone... I could have done more, but I did not.

So I've kicked around trying to find blends to replace it. There are some good ones out there, for example: Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Crantz, and probably a few other C&D blends that I have not tried. But none of these real close to the same as Picayune. The blend cannot be replicated, but the characteristics of high flavor and high nicotine can be.

A while back @logs suggested I simply smoke straight perique as a replacement. This made me realize it's the perique in the Picayune that I crave. Problem is.. often times it's just too rough. If I haven't eaten, or if I've got my gaurd down for any reason, an hour or so of straight perique will leave me feeling like scattered shit across floor of white carpet. A room full of straight perique smoke does not smell good. As they would say, the "room note" seems to offend. Within my house the complaint department is working overtime, and the suggestion box is overflowing.

I was reading some old threads here about perique and I came across a thread discussing the way burley and perique work together. There seems to be benefits to combining the two.

So I mixed perique with some old Prince Albert I'm still smoking through, and BAM! That's a tasty strong smoke! I tried it with Granger, Velvet, Half and Half, and Carter hall. It worked well with all, each producing obviously different flavors, but stong and tasty flavors all the same. I'd imagine this works with any OTCs and OTC match blends containing a majority of burley.

Some of us want a strong flavorful smoke, and that can be hard to come by or very expensive. Like Picayune, 1792 flake, Gawith ropes, and the various flavored plugs and flakes that are out there. These blends don't appeal to some or probably most, as they are too strong. So there is only a short list of this genre.

Seems to me most blends are made with the passing hipster in mind, And that guy didnt want a headache from trying out his new churchwarden.. so they made the (plug in the Lord of the Rings themed blend) weak, with newbies in mind.

My taste buds are shot out all day by the various abuses I enact on them.. I need plenty of flavor and nicotine so I can slowly smoke without getting bored and puffing away, ending up with a burnt tounge and a wet pipe. My beloved Picayune got it's flavor from a natural mix of burleys, orientals, virginia, and perique. The perique/OTC mix gets much of it's flavor from artificial means... But flavor is flavor in my book.

So go forth and mix perique with OTCs. Mix em 50/50, or just a sprinkle of perique. How ever you do it you will find an improved blend.

- Funkhouse

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
You've explored a question I've been wondering about for some time. I have half a dozen jars or so of OTC burley blends that I never smoke. Today I'll blend some perique into them, let them sit a bit, and see what happens.

I should have mentioned that a 50/50 mix is probably way too much perique.

I like the codger blends just fine, but they can get a little boring.

Last edited:
Reactions: makhorkasmoker

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Here’s my old Picayune like blend idea, I don’t think I ever tried it and Ramback is no longer available… I really love Picayune too and I’m sad it’s gone.

Picayune recipe:
D&R Windsail Platinum
C&D Red Virginia Ribbon
C&D Dark Burley
D&R Ramback
C&D Dark Fired Kentucky
C&D Long Cut Perique
C&D Granulated Perique

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Here’s my old Picayune like blend idea, I don’t think I ever tried it and Ramback is no longer available… I really love Picayune too and I’m sad it’s gone.

Picayune recipe:
D&R Windsail Platinum
C&D Red Virginia Ribbon
C&D Dark Burley
D&R Ramback
C&D Dark Fired Kentucky
C&D Long Cut Perique
C&D Granulated Perique
C&d’s Izmir Turkish is extremely similar to ramback

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland

Picayune recipe:
D&R Windsail Platinum
C&D Red Virginia Ribbon
C&D Dark Burley
D&R Ramback
C&D Dark Fired Kentucky
C&D Long Cut Perique
C&D Granulated Perique

Sounds about right.

I've tried making something like this. Might need something for an oriental element.

Is Ramback still in production? I have a few bags, never loved it smoked alone.

Reactions: MattRVA

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Sounds about right.

I've tried making something like this. Might need something for an oriental element.

Is Ramback still in production? I have a few bags, never loved it smoked alone.
No it’s gone from what I’ve seen, D&R is all but gone now. It really sucks because I loved their bucket/tubs. C&D might be good leaf to replace but Picayune was hard for me to replicate. Perhaps I wasn’t heavy enough on the perique.

khiddy

Lurker
I just got a bag of D&R Two Timer (well, it was sold as D&R, but the bag actually reads “2 Daughters,” perhaps since Mark Ryan has sold D&R to focus on perique production?).

Anyhow, Two Timer is an *very* affordable all-burley double-toasted blend that has some nice flavor. I use it as the bulk in some of my home blends, adding perique, Virginia, and/or Latakia and/or Turkish.