PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
Im going to be in California Orange County area in May. Im staying in Capestrano (i think thats the area or beach). Does anyone know any good tobacco retailers in that area? I've looked at The Tobacco Barn in Lake Forest online. can't tell if its a store or just online sales.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Tobacco Barn is an honest to goodness B&M shop, and quite a decent one at that. I purchased my current favorite pipe there, a Bjarne "Viking Classic" army mount pot that is dedicated to Nightcap.
You'll be not too far north from San Diego, and Liberty Tobacco down there might be worth a visit, although I've not been there myself. Smoker's Land also looks to have a fair selection in the pipe arena...

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
HiTimes in costa mesa,ca. They are listed in the pipe store locator; and I've been there. Its worth the stop. Lan will take good care of you.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Ah!!! Been there too, but it didn't click in response to this post... if you go to Hi-Time Wine, get ready for sensory overload... HUGE wine/liquor/beer selection, one of the biggest in the western USA, not to mention the tobacco "shop within a shop". Well worth a visit. tanless1 is dead on with his recommendation.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
If you're really after a deal, and depending on the length of your stay here, I'd suggest shopping online at some of the lower priced e-tailers and having your purchases shipped to your place of lodging. Nothing is cheap in Orange or San Diego Counties... plus we are blessed with state sales tax (around 9%) and unless I'm mistaken, a California tobacco tax. Buying from somewhere that's already inexpensive, such as the lil' brown smoke shack on tribal land in WA state, and having it shipped in, will allow you to shrug the bonds of Government oppression and taxation!!!

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I do enjoy " lil brown smoke shack". But their selection is suprisingly limited.....that is not to say they don't have a selection ; and an esspreso bar !

As far as e-tailers go "pipes and cigars" is VERY competitive w/ bulk pricing on tinned tobacco(under $10 per tin on my last purchase).
If you do stop by "lil brown shack" ; there is another smoke shop right across the street...pls stop in and let us know what's in there.
With that being said , Standard is right. The california smoking tax is high. Yet you will still enjoy stopping in at Hi-Times. Its a great shop w/ a bar in the basement(I think) and believe me ; Lan is probably more frustrated than you with the tax situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.