My Only Tin of McClelland Virginia, 11 Years Old.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Title edited to lower case tiny words, and for brevity.

I purchased an aged tin of McClelland Blackwoods Flake as a part of a bulk tobacco purchase. The seller told me that this tin is from 2011. Looking into the date code I think it is from 2009, which makes it 10+ years of age. Today is a good day as any to smoke it, so I opened it. The tin note is ketchup like, but the dark stoved Virginia has changed it to more like a homemade variety of sweet Indian Pickle made from tamarind or date. I am drying it now and will smoke in a while.

14350E45-DF9A-4D55-9916-2AED6E3B485E.jpegD65DA23B-29C5-4665-A5F4-A55776AF3E3E.jpeg07DBC62E-C3EB-4221-8AE3-E7968BB4C916.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Tamarind is good as hell. There's this great restaurant in Tijuana I used to go to back in my border hopping days that had these delicious tamarindo margaritas. Killer! Also, a place close to my house uses a tamarind chutney with their Samosa Chaat and it's so good.

I recently got a sample of some Blackwoods from '14 from a generous forum homie, and it's been an absolute treat smoking it. I wasn't a huge VA smoker when McC went defunct, but now I smoke a lot of VAs and can appreciate them more.Luckily, there are still some good VAs out there!

I have finished the bowl. I smoked it too wet (Was in a hurry to taste it), but otherwise it was a fantastic smoke! It was very smooth and a lingering taste of fruity sweetness throughout the bowl. I occasionally got some bread, some earth and some very interesting notes from time to time, which I cannot describe. Wonderfully sublime and complex. Fantastic stuff.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I purchased an aged tin of McClelland Blackwoods Flake as a part of a bulk tobacco purchase. The seller told me that this tin is from 2011. Looking into the date code I think it is from 2009, which makes it 10+ years of age. Today is a good day as any to smoke it, so I opened it. The tin note is ketchup like, but the dark stoved Virginia has changed it to more like a homemade variety of sweet Indian Pickle made from tamarind or date. I am drying it now and will smoke in a while.

View attachment 22091View attachment 22092View attachment 22093
cshubhra, wow.. that looks a great deal for a Virginia blend and the description you gave reminded me my grandma's home made mango pickle, truly a delicacy.. hoping you are enjoying this one at its best!

I went up to my local tobacconist day before yesterday and brought some in house manufactured pipe tobacco for INR 10 / 500gms! and a clay pipe worth INR 30/unit He didn't told me much about the blend but only that it has generous amount amount of "sheera" (urdu word for Molasses" from sugarcane remains). The aroma was very distinct and fruity when I smelled it. Also has good amount of moisture in it. Another customer who was purchasing in house blended Hookah tobacco which is very gooey in nature told me "It burns slow, kinda woody because of sugarcane remains that provide a fruity bag note but the room note might not be tolerable for some, its a pure tobacco so don't expect it to have any flavors. Sort of an Indian in house manufactured English styled blend."

Hope it turns out good when I ll fire it up. I cellared 250 gms already in a mason jar and remaining is out there in my old steel tiffin box!
Pics enclosed..
IMG_20200312_160405.jpg IMG_20200312_160117.jpgIMG_20200312_160102.jpg

Happy Piping my friend! puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
cshubhra, wow.. that looks a great deal for a Virginia blend and the description you gave reminded me my grandma's home made mango pickle, truly a delicacy.. hoping you are enjoying this one at its best!

I went up to my local tobacconist day before yesterday and brought some in house manufactured pipe tobacco for INR 10 / 500gms! and a clay pipe worth INR 30/unit He didn't told me much about the blend but only that it has generous amount amount of "sheera" (urdu word for Molasses" from sugarcane remains). The aroma was very distinct and fruity when I smelled it. Also has good amount of moisture in it. Another customer who was purchasing in house blended Hookah tobacco which is very gooey in nature told me "It burns slow, kinda woody because of sugarcane remains that provide a fruity bag note but the room note might not be tolerable for some, its a pure tobacco so don't expect it to have any flavors. Sort of an Indian in house manufactured English styled blend."

Hope it turns out good when I ll fire it up. I cellared 250 gms already in a mason jar and remaining is out there in my old steel tiffin box!
Pics enclosed..
View attachment 22262 View attachment 22263View attachment 22264

Happy Piping my friend! puffy
Tried this today.. and It turned out an awful experience with first ever smoke. It was my first ever puff of tobacco. It burned and emitted smoke similar to cigarette smoke (though with no additional additives), bit my tongue and throat real bad and gave me a bad breath. I immediately discarded the remains.. cleaned the pipe... And threw it away along with that cheap tobacco.. ?

Wait for your COBs and tobaccos to arrive. However, pipe tobacco will still somewhat taste like cigarettes. It is still tobacco.

Puff slowly, and the flavors will come alive and the smokey taste will reduce.

Tried this today.. and It turned out an awful experience with first ever smoke. It was my first ever puff of tobacco. It burned and emitted smoke similar to cigarette smoke (though with no additional additives), bit my tongue and throat real bad and gave me a bad breath. I immediately discarded the remains.. cleaned the pipe... And threw it away along with that cheap tobacco.. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
part could be the pipe.. it looks like a weed pipe.

also did you dry the tobacco to nearly dry before smoking?